Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 05:19   #76

Re: Compost toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I will still argue that a regular marine head with good condition hoses and an unblocked vent , properly maintained is equally non smelly, and easier, and way less actual maintenance then a composter. And out of the USA way easier to empty. Adding a little "digest it" once in a great while will help keep it this way.
If your somewhere where pump out or going the required distance offshore isn't easily available then I could understand the need to have a composter.
You occasionally hear this online. To date being on hundreds of boats, I've never seen it in real life. I'm sure you will tell us how yours is different.

With direct overboard discharge, the difference in effort gets a lot closer but keeping a traditional head in "good condition" requires messing about with it and when it fails, the head is out of commission until you can fix it (not fun if you are away from a marina and the boat is rolling). With a composter, there is basically nothing to fail. If you use it for a few days after it's full, generally not a big deal.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:49   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You occasionally hear this online. To date being on hundreds of boats, I've never seen it in real life. I'm sure you will tell us how yours is different.

With direct overboard discharge, the difference in effort gets a lot closer but keeping a traditional head in "good condition" requires messing about with it and when it fails, the head is out of commission until you can fix it (not fun if you are away from a marina and the boat is rolling). With a composter, there is basically nothing to fail. If you use it for a few days after it's full, generally not a big deal.
If only direct discharge was acceptable! Hands-down, I'd go with a nice Raritan Elegance marine toilet if I didn't have to mess with the holding tank. Not even a close call for me. I can live wit rebuilding a head. But holding tanks are an absolute pain. Let's face it, you only realize a macerator pump has failed when you go to empty a full tank. 'nuff said!
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:55   #78

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I really hesitate to get into the differences between the different units on the market here, but when you read that people say things like this, then ask what unit they have.
It might be interesting to do a breakdown of the pros and cons of each of the major commercial options. I know when I went to a composter I looked long and hard at the three main options: C, Air & Nature's.

Based on my needs, I ruled out C-head due to its smaller tank capacities, and greater dumping frequency. I really like the use of non-proprietary tanks, and the cheaper price was nice too, but in the end I valued the larger volumes more.

This then put my decision tree down to Air or Nature's. I think they are both pretty similar, but I went with Nature's because it seemed to fit just a bit better in my space. It also has the largest holding tanks (by a small amount). The standard seat is large on Nature's, but I think they are both pretty similar.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:32   #79

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

We love our Air Head and haven't used our holding tank since installing it 3 years ago.

It's hilarious to me that people who don't have one criticize the heck out of it, and those that do have one love it. I've never seen or heard of a boater who got a composting head and didn't love it.

Here's a post about why we love it

If you look at our other posts on that thread you'll find a detailed discussion on what kind of coir we use, how to install it (very easy), how we empty it, etc.

Let us know if you have any questions.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:51   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
WOW! Thanks for that!

I haven't read your thread just yet but later this evening I most certainly will.

I looked at how they work and think I could build a smart one using female mold for a fiberglass pedestal and proprietary containers for the internals.

I'll be interested to read your thread and see what others have to say.
Be aware that you still have to dump the Pee Jug overboard. If you are in a nice anchorage how would you feel about taking a swim in water that almost everyone dumps their pee into? Also note many marinas Annapolis for example will not rent you a mooring ball if you have a composting head. Just things to keep in mind.
Happ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:09   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
We love our Air Head and haven't used our holding tank since installing it 3 years ago.

It's hilarious to me that people who don't have one criticize the heck out of it, and those that do have one love it. I've never seen or heard of a boater who got a composting head and didn't love it.
Agreed. Like I say, this topic seems to bring out a lot of uninformed, but still strongly-held, opinions. But to be fair, I have heard from a few who didn't like the compost head after trying it. I think we've heard from at least one such person here on this thread.

But the numbers are very few. The vast majority, well into the 90%, would never go back to a standard marine head once they've lived with a composter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Be aware that you still have to dump the Pee Jug overboard. If you are in a nice anchorage how would you feel about taking a swim in water that almost everyone dumps their pee into? Also note many marinas Annapolis for example will not rent you a mooring ball if you have a composting head. Just things to keep in mind.
The pee comment is silly. Urine is mostly sterile; much more so than your mouth or skin. So if you are honestly concerned about swimming in anchorages with others around, you must be mortified when you see someone else swimming there. They pose a risk that is magnitudes greater.

There are some places in Annapolis where they won't allow compost head users to rent moorings. This is the ONLY place I know of with this restriction. Remember, compost heads are Type III MSDs, just like all other holding tank systems.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:17   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
Also note many marinas Annapolis for example will not rent you a mooring ball if you have a composting head. Just things to keep in mind.
We have seen this posted in a couple of other threads but nobody has ever provided evidence that it is actually a real policy.
Honestly i have never been asked about my head untill i applied for liveaboard status in my last marina. They required a 15 gallon holding tank . Being a composter i was exempted from that requirement. ( find a place on a 24 ft boat for that holding tank)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:28   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
We have seen this posted in a couple of other threads but nobody has ever provided evidence that it is actually a real policy.
Honestly i have never been asked about my head untill i applied for liveaboard status in my last marina. They required a 15 gallon holding tank . Being a composter i was exempted from that requirement. ( find a place on a 24 ft boat for that holding tank)

I did search it down when it came up a while ago. It appears to be true. And I know of at least one compost head user who confirmed it.

It seems to be the actions of the harbour master office. It makes no sense, and I can't see how it would withstand a court challenge, but there you go.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:46   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I did search it down when it came up a while ago. It appears to be true. And I know of at least one compost head user who confirmed it.

It seems to be the actions of the harbour master office. It makes no sense, and I can't see how it would withstand a court challenge, but there you go.
I do remember that . However there has never been anyone show actual policy from any governing body . ( the harbor master is answerable to the municipality. ). Seems like classic power grab overreaching.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:51   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I do remember that . However there has never been anyone show actual policy from any governing body . ( the harbor master is answerable to the municipality. ). Seems like classic power grab overreaching.

No argument from me .

I recall working hard to find something written. My memory is that I eventually found it online in the Annapolis government website, but I can't tell you where now. Took some digging.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:56   #86

Boat: Hans Christian 34 - Evolution

I have used a Natures Head for 8-9 years and it was one of the first changes that I made to my Hans Christian 34. I had to build a small platform to accommodate the stool, but that was minimal. The biggest change was the removal of a large, smelly holding tank, maserator, lines and thru-hulls. It gave me more storage space and made the air in my boat much more pleasant. Like others have said, I will never go back to a holding tank. There is absolutely no reason to. The tiny fan on mine runs 24/7 with a very minor power draw and is almost silent. I have a couple replacement fans that I picked up for $0.50 each, but have never needed to use them.
rlh1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:22   #87

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I have an Air-Head and am very happy with it. The pee bottle is no big deal.
I gained a huge amount of space and also saved the weight of a tank full of sewage when I removed the old system. The other boat has a porta-potty, like that too it is easy to deal with.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:23   #88

Boat: O'Day 40

We've been using a C-Head for about 7 years and would never go back to a wet system. I chose it because of its smaller footprint and shorter height so our feet don't dangle when using it.
It came with a lid with fittings that could be used to extend the composting process but I've never tried that.
I never did put in an exhaust fan but may one day just to remove humidity from it and the head in general.
Swapping in a fresh pee jug literally just takes second and emptying the bucket is a 4 or 5 minute job.
Maybe my nose it too sensitive but almost every boat we visit has a smelly head and many stink right through the boat.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:03   #89

Boat: Hunter 26

If you go to sailboatowners.com forum site and type "Composting" into the search field, you get 620 hits.
rgranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:10   #90

I have a question about these toilets that I have yet to find an answer to. Every year we take part in a couple of offshore races where we have 6 crew on board for up to 3 days. How would a composting toilet handle this? Since they are primarily desiccating toilets I would have thought that much volume in a short time might present a problem.
shepherdsond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil