Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 11:27   #91

Boat: 72 Morgan 30 Out Islander
Smile Re: Compost toilets

When we refitted our Morgan, we decided (after a lot of research) to not reinstall a standard head and blackwater tank. Besides the expense of the pump outs at the marina.

We decided to install a compostable toilet and chose Nature's Head. Super simple to use. And best of all, no holding tank.

The only drawback is that here in Florida, there are not a lot of places to dump the compost. Not quite so green here in Florida quite yet.

Good luck on finding your compostable toilet search. I hope this helps you some.
BobKat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:29   #92

Re: Compost toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdsond View Post
I have a question about these toilets that I have yet to find an answer to. Every year we take part in a couple of offshore races where we have 6 crew on board for up to 3 days. How would a composting toilet handle this? Since they are primarily desiccating toilets I would have thought that much volume in a short time might present a problem.
It gets asked (or similar about guests).

Presuming you start with a freshly emptied system, people don't pee into the solids tank and no one has diarrhea or other issues...3 days shouldn't be a big issue.

Even if they do have those issues, you can always dump it and start over once they are gone.

You will probably have to dump the pee tank a couple times a day.

Much longer with 6 people and yes, the system is likely to get overwhelmed. Of course, 6 people on most single head boats is pretty uncomfortable to begin with.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:48   #93

I Think that if you live in an area of the US that has poor or no water or tidal flow, yeah, a composting toilet could be the answer. However, in most of the world, if you ask for a pump out station they say. “ a what”?! Trinidad has a huge amount on anchored live aboard cruiser. Hundreds. The government (rightfully so),was concerned about all the boaters pumping into the bay. So they did an in depth scientific study. They discovered a definite result. The e- coli count went through the roof! At very specific times. ( no, not just after breakfast)...................when it rained!! Fresh water run off from land! The boaters made no difference. The couple of turds that you pump into the water makes little difference if there is any water exchange at all. Yes, if you are in a very enclosed body of water with little to no exchange, sure a holding tank or in that situation, I would switch to composting. I hate holding tanks and think that they are bad for the environment. Many new boats are plumbed to make you go through the holding tank. Many people dump them where they shouldn’t. THIS, is bad for the environment, this heavy concentration of effluent. But still, NOTHING compared to what almost all municipalities do! It is used a lot in the US for political reasons EG Georgia. Yep compost for me over holding tank, or where applicable, over the side, one turd and a time.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 16:51   #94

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Apparently compost toilets are permitted in Annapolis Bay but not for "Long term stays". Here is a copy of an email which seems(might?) to explain the situation. (Hope no-one has already cited the post!)

"'I spent an hour or so with Beth Bellas, Annapolis Harbormaster, Thursday. Lots of good information which I'll write up for a longer article, but here's the official statement.

Boats with composting heads are welcome in City Waters. They may transit through, stay at private or public docks for as long as they like People with composting heads may not stay in City waters ON ANCHOR OR ON A MOORING longer than one (1) week. Composting heads are not designed for uninterrupted use, and when users dispose of the solids in our public trash cans, this creates a public health concern. Users are also tempted to dump urine overboard, in violation of state and local laws and ordinances.

IMHO, as long as we have a specified policy, our Clean Wake obligation is to follow the local policy. I looked into the manufacturers specs a bit and I did see a reference that they were not recommended for uninterrupted use as there isn't sufficient time (typically) for solid waste to compost in that scenario. I have found none of them to be Coast Guard approved so far, so we will want to keep an eye on the use of these in other waters as time goes by.

The message is that Annapolis has been wrestling with all of the challenges that a municipal facility runs into with City Councils and funding. They are and have been trying to take care of boaters and their home waters by enforcing regulations already on the books. Lots of derelict vessels are gone.. Sunken mooring balls have been marked, but legally they cant do anything with private moorings in their jurisdiction. They are making an effort to welcome us and communicate with us when something changes. Good work is underway.

Kathy Barth
Five & Dim"

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...201172-17.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 18:40   #95

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I don't follow this. (I wonder what a Type 111 marine head is?)

Nature's Head Composting Toilets -- The Official Site: Vessels

natureshead.net ›
marine

The Nature's Head composting toilet meets all "No Discharge" regulations and is a U.S Coast Guard Approved type III marine head. USCG MSD Definition (PDF) ...

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/562598178421322753/
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 18:42   #96

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdsond View Post
I have a question about these toilets that I have yet to find an answer to. Every year we take part in a couple of offshore races where we have 6 crew on board for up to 3 days. How would a composting toilet handle this? Since they are primarily desiccating toilets I would have thought that much volume in a short time might present a problem.
Agree with Val. If you start with a fresh pile, and don't get any unusual load of moisture (urine, or other). Then three days should be OK. But it certainly won't be operating to spec. You'll be emptying the urine bucket every day, possibly more often. But the head will handle it.

You might try leaving the head for a week or so after you get back so it can process the material a bit. If you can give it a churn every day or so that would be even better.
Old 05-06-2020, 18:46   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post

natureshead.net › marine

The Nature's Head composting toilet meets all "No Discharge" regulations and is a U.S Coast Guard Approved type III marine head. USCG MSD Definition (PDF) ...

From USCG site defining MSD:

Quote:
Type III is a device that prevents the overboard discharge of treated or untreated sewage or any waste derived from sewage. This type of device is typically a holding tank and may include other types of technology including incineration, recirculation, and composting.
These heads are Type III MSDs. This is why I believe the Annapolis restriction would not survive a court challenge.
Old 05-06-2020, 20:15   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post

natureshead.net › marine

here is the letter from the commandant of the coast guard .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USCG Letter.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	216670  
Old 06-06-2020, 05:00   #99

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly
I did search it down when it came up a while ago. It appears to be true. And I know of at least one compost head user who confirmed it.

It seems to be the actions of the harbour master office. It makes no sense, and I can't see how it would withstand a court challenge, but there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I do remember that . However there has never been anyone show actual policy from any governing body . ( the harbor master is answerable to the municipality. ). Seems like classic power grab overreaching.
Policy was probably written by one of those same people who has never had any personal experience with composting toilets, but is just going off of what "Everyone knows" knowledge . . .

Probably one of the same people who is so vociferous in responding on threads asking for PERSONAL EXPERIENCE on composting toilets . . .

Their experience is based on what they heard from a reliable hairdressers first cousin's ex boyfriend . . . . who never owned a boat, much less a composting toilet!
BlueH2Obound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:48   #100

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Keep in mind a court challenge would require boatloads of your hard earned cash, whereas municipalities never run out of your tax dollars ......
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:57   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Keep in mind a court challenge would require boatloads of your hard earned cash, whereas municipalities never run out of your tax dollars ......
that's just it as a retired cruiser about all it would really cost is my time .
I don't pay taxes in their jurisdiction ( other than sales tax for Crap I would buy anyway)
Fought a ticket by water cop here one time cost me a day in court and the judge a week researching maritime law. I was told the ticket was dropped by mail .
Old 06-06-2020, 14:49   #102

Boat: CAL 35 III
Send a message via Skype™ to ejjawhite

Composting Head

USING A COMPOSTING HEAD ON BOARD:
One great benefit of a composting head is the new availability of storage once the holding tanks are gone. Now, Keeping in mind that we don’t live on our boat year round, as we are in Boston (where some do live year round on their boats). I have had a nice house on a tidal river for 40 years. What can I say? Otherwise I’d live on my boat. During the season mid-May to mid-Oct we take a half dozen weekend trips and a few weeklong trips in addition to some day sailing and sometimes just sleeping on our own mooring behind my house..

IMPORTANT FOR FLY/GNAT CONTROL: This is very important and
this is from experience. I have had occasional severe tiny fly problems like many other people have and tried everything get ride of them including spraying insecticide into the composting reservoir, fine screens everywhere in the system, and ultimately bombing the inside of the boat with insecticide aerosol.. I have added diatomaceous earth the the composting process. That did help. I always use the COIR-COCONUT FIBER for my composting base material, and it comes in brick form. It’s available online and in garden centers. IMPORTANT: I microwave the bricks to ‘hot’ before hydrating it (and then I like to add a little ‘compost starter’) and it will pretty much last all season. Microwaving until hot will kill the eggs of any nasty little critters. I have had not one fly since doing this. If you decide to use peat moss or any other material, I also suggest microwaving the hell out of it before hydrating it for the head just in case there had been any possible insect activity when it was packed...
EMPTYING THE COMPOST: Nonetheless, removing the holding tank portion for the composting material, which takes maybe 5 minutes, involves removing/unscrewing the bowl portion, then unscrewing the base, putting on some gloves, and dumping it into a larger container. I use construction grade plastic bags, a bit of overkill. When I do this, I find no traces of TP, except maybe from the more recent droppings. Smell? There really is none. I mean it. I leave it onboard all winter if it is not in need of dumping, and my boat smells like a flower in the Springtime. It becomes totally dried out... No trace at all, even during the season after any immediate odors dissipate there is no odor.
Now, there are two ways of using the head for BMs. 1). Trap door closed (using coffee filters), or lined with TP, or 2). Right through the open hole/trap door, which I prefer. Either way, you may have to use some TP to clean the inside edge of the trap door when done. I also keep a water spray bottle to tidy up the bowl if needed. In warmer months, the added water from spraying actually helps the decaying process.
PEEING: I carry an additional pee tank, and if I had 2 heads on board, I’d carry an extra for each head. It is a bit difficult to visually determine when the tank is full, and you really want to remove it for emptying when it is no more than 3/4 full. We frequently take the tank ashore (in my carry bag) where convenient and simply drain it into a toilet. I’ll flush it with fresh water on the dock or in the toilet area if possible. Obviously, when at sea, dumping overboard is easy enough and rinsing w salt water is quite adequate and sometimes done at a dock, rinsing, (not dumping it there)...

Benefits which I love:
1). no desperate vhf calls for a pump out, and I’ve heard them early in the morning before the pump-out guy is scheduled to start their day. Talk about desperation... and some places you have to be on the ‘pump out reservation list’ via arrangement with the Harbormaster.
2). Environmentally very friendly.. you could literally compost your fruit and vegetable garden with the end material (pun intended), though for some reason it is strongly discouraged.
Using chicken **** or cow manure however for some reason is not frowned upon in a residential garden. So use your compost for flower beds...
3). A nice, big locker is now available where my 20 gallon holding tank had been.
4). Elimination of 18 hose clamps and a dozen feet of stinking hose.
5). No holding tank odors. Seriously. There may be some initially for a few minutes, but no odor.... if anything, there might be a slightly musty odor, but I’ve rarely experienced it, and never noticed it outside of the immediate head area.
I’m a believer! It’s been one of the best additions to my boat.
ejjawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 17:37   #103

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejjawhite View Post
Composting Head

IMPORTANT FOR FLY/GNAT CONTROL: This is very important and
this is from experience. I have had occasional severe tiny fly problems like many other people have and tried everything get ride of them including spraying insecticide into the composting reservoir, fine screens everywhere in the system, and ultimately bombing the inside of the boat with insecticide aerosol.. I have added diatomaceous earth the the composting process. That did help. I always use the COIR-COCONUT FIBER for my composting base material, and it comes in brick form. It’s available online and in garden centers. IMPORTANT: I microwave the bricks to ‘hot’ before hydrating it (and then I like to add a little ‘compost starter’) and it will pretty much last all season. Microwaving until hot will kill the eggs of any nasty little critters. I have had not one fly since doing this. If you decide to use peat moss or any other material, I also suggest microwaving the hell out of it before hydrating it for the head just in case there had been any possible insect activity when it was packed...
EMPTYING THE COMPOST: Nonetheless, removing the holding tank portion for the composting material, which takes maybe 5 minutes, involves removing/unscrewing the bowl portion, then unscrewing the base, putting on some gloves, and dumping it into a larger container. I use construction grade plastic bags, a bit of overkill. When I do this, I find no traces of TP, except maybe from the more recent droppings. Smell? There really is none. I mean it. I leave it onboard all winter if it is not in need of dumping, and my boat smells like a flower in the Springtime. It becomes totally dried out... No trace at all, even during the season after any immediate odors dissipate there is no odor.
Now, there are two ways of using the head for BMs. 1). Trap door closed (using coffee filters), or lined with TP, or 2). Right through the open hole/trap door, which I prefer. Either way, you may have to use some TP to clean the inside edge of the trap door when done. I also keep a water spray bottle to tidy up the bowl if needed. In warmer months, the added water from spraying actually helps the decaying process.
PEEING: I carry an additional pee tank, and if I had 2 heads on board, I’d carry an extra for each head. It is a bit difficult to visually determine when the tank is full, and you really want to remove it for emptying when it is no more than 3/4 full.
All of that,...
Or you could just get a C-Head.
Old 06-06-2020, 18:16   #104

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Wow. That does seem like a lot above. Never had a fly problem at all. I use peat moss and zero flies have come from it.

No coffee filters. Just go toward the back for solids and toward the front for liquids.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 19:47   #105

I think Air Head recommends the use of coffee filters. Nature's and C does not.

I've had flies a very few times over the near decade of use now. It has happened when the pile became too damp. It's usually easy to correct with the addition of additional coir.

Tags
oil