Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 02:36   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles alan View Post
Anyboody ever add a keel to a flat bottom or vee. Thanks again for your reply.-M
Short answer = No

Long Answer is that I have thought about it......but I think about a lot of things I will never do

It was the Macgregor 26 that got me thinking - which sails adequately but can also motor at 20 odd knots (ok, does neither as well as a pure yacht or mobo).......my thinking was to start with something like an Orkney on the basis that the design of these boats were based on vessels used by fishermen and powered by Sails and Oars.....and certainly the Orkney's are good seaboats under power.

I am thinking as a new build adding a centre board / drop keel and for an existing boat with Lee Boards. I figure a Mast that can be partly unstepped to keep the mast height down under motor - maybe with a Lugsail to also avoid a boom and carry the mast well forward:-

Could also use the the rig for a Boom (less!) tent to camp under cover.

I would think something around 22/23 Foot would be ideal - either all open or with a Cuddy on the end. A new build would no doubt be helped by some hull re-design.

Appreciate would not sail like a Hobie cat , but fun enough to spend the day sailing, also with the capacity to go / come back under power even if the weather was not ideal.

Could work well here - given that France is just a bit too far to reach for lunch and back under sail and that messing around the island coast is the more usual - and sail is more pleasant for not really going anywhere .....maybe for other islands as well?

Myles, not sure what sort of Motorboats you have to hand, but if you want to make a working prototype of the above - just to satisfy my curiosity - I will buy you a Beer QED?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:28   #17

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Wow Dave! I do like the table dinghy! Now, if you could somehow extend the front legs and hank the tablecloth between them, you would have a square rigger, and save on gas. Then, when you get to the sandy beach, just turn it over and have a picknick. Don't laugh, you can't do that with an Avon.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 19:26   #18

Boat: MirroMarine 28'
Send a message via Skype™ to Myles alan
on another note.

yes, thanks to you too, Alan (Wheels). I was aware of the difference in the hull bottoms but thought if it was possible to change the bottom design. Now, this leaves me with a new problem. I wish to build a sailboat ( I didnt get the one at the Marina) but the [problem is that I cant even figure out the cut of the molds to give the shape to the boat. And, ironically and shamefully; i consider myself a pretty good carpenter for rough frame. The plans ive looked at dont seem to tell one how to make the mold shapes other than a graph with usually 3 numbers in 3 square boxes called the table of offsets such as /2-4-1/1-9-7/2-9-1/1-7-3/1-3-6. i did read this top to bottom. i did figure out that station one is mold one top to bottom. well in any event thanks mate. ill keep trying. maybe tonight ill post a plea for some easy boat plans or is this too audacious? -Myles Alan
P.S. and to the rest of youse who went off on a tangent of this QED stuff... Ease up on the wacky weed. Drugs are a terrible thing to waste.
Myles alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 20:40   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Pity you didn't live in NZ. I have a Van de Stadt sitting on a trailer here in my yard that I am trying to find someone that will take it for free. If I don't find someone soon, I am going to have to take a chainsaw to it. And that'll hurt me as much as the boat.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 20:57   #20

Boat: MirroMarine 28'
Send a message via Skype™ to Myles alan
irony ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Pity you didn't live in NZ. I have a Van de Stadt sitting on a trailer here in my yard that I am trying to find someone that will take it for free. If I don't find someone soon, I am going to have to take a chainsaw to it. And that'll hurt me as much as the boat.
Mr. Wheeler, iisnt this ironic, if i had a boat i could get to your boat and tow it before you cut it. hey here is something, my friend and landlord is from Austrailia, his name is Bob, do you know him??? yes, im kidding. tis a shame you cant get someone for that boat.im drooling but then i usually drool just day to day. but thanks for thinkin of me and you run a great web site here. maybe you could send me that boat a piece at a time??? Thanks Wheels, your friend, Myles alan
Myles alan is offline   Reply With Quote