Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 00:14   #1

Boat: MirroMarine 28'
Send a message via Skype™ to Myles alan
conversion?

Hi. wonder if anyone has ever converted a cruiser or speed boat to a sail boat. If this is done, perhaps you can direct me to a book on methods? I have access to an old boat bone yard and the owner is allowing me to go in and choose a boat to work on this summer. Last year i acquired a 28 foot cabin cruiser, Mirro Marine. This will be my poor boys way into boating. ok poor ol guy. Can this be done? Thank you. Myles Alan
Myles alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 00:24   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Better to start with a free sailboat. There are plenty of them out there. Check with marinas in your area and see what they have been stuck with when owners have not paid their rent. But be carefeul there too. You can easily throw good money after bad. Try Craigslist as well. Patience can pay off.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 16:07   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Tidy up your cabin cruiser, give it some TLC and a lick or 2 of paint. Sell it and use the money to buy a sailboat. QED.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 16:09   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Tidy up your cabin cruiser, give it some TLC and a lick or 2 of paint. Sell it and use the money to buy a sailboat. QED.
Stupid question:

What does QED stand for?

I've only seen it as Q.uantum E.lectro D.ynamics. Just a dumb physics guy here who knows jack about old latin sometimes.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 16:18   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
QED

Quod erat demonstrandum: that it(which) was to be demonstrated. Surprised that they don't teach this anymore in basic logic and mathematical proofs. Of course if it is self-evident that the proper proof has been completed then one doesn't need to point out that it has been done yet you know how those math profs are like!

The previous use of QED in this thread is not a valid example of its use.
Old 04-05-2008, 16:23   #6
cruiser

Thank you, Rick. There is a fuzzy memory of using QED in some class in college where I had to do proofs... very fuzzy and foggy. I think I just used it, but never knew what the Latin words were. Good to hear from you.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 16:24   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Stupid question:

What does QED stand for?

I've only seen it as Q.uantum E.lectro D.ynamics. Just a dumb physics guy here who knows jack about old latin sometimes.
My Rough Translation: "and there you have it"

And then Google (and WIKI) says...........

"Q.E.D. is an abbreviation of the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum" (literally, "that which was to be demonstrated"). The phrase is written in its abbreviated form at the end of a mathematical proof or philosophical argument, to signify that the last statement deduced was the one to be demonstrated, so the proof is complete."

And............

"Currently, it has become so symbolic of irrefutable logic that "Q.E.D." is occasionally used in non-mathematical contexts as well to intensify assertions; in this context it has little connection with rigorous deduction, however, and is more tongue-in-cheek."

My translation was at least shorter even if not 100%

Latin? It's all Greek to me
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 16:28   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post

I disagree The great thing about the English Language is that it is always changing.......and sometimes this can even involve changes in Latin
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 18:30   #9

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
QED example

What I mean is that you did not prove what you set out to do. You merely placed the oft-ill-applied QED at the end of the sentence as though it had been proven with validity.

Not trying to be cute or nasty here merely being the engineer applying critical thinking. Sorry, man, or did I miss a point of you being facetious?
Old 04-05-2008, 20:02   #10

converting to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Anderson View Post
Better to start with a free sailboat. There are plenty of them out there. Check with marinas in your area and see what they have been stuck with when owners have not paid their rent. But be carefeul there too. You can easily throw good money after bad. Try Craigslist as well. Patience can pay off.
*Thanks for your reply. Things change from day to day and today i found the one sailboat hull on this local Marina property. The owner , ironically another Don, is 88 years old and was one of the first in the country to do fiberglassing. But he wasnt in to sailboats. In short , he did have one sailboat hull on the property that he aquired in 1975. He may or may not give it to me but today he asked me if i could come back tomorrow morning and help him pull an engine out of a customers boat. And thatll earn me more money than i had and more points with the "Don". He owns ALOT of fiberglass. Im hoping in his will (or before_) it will read, " and i leave 110 gallons of fiberglass and an applicator to my friend, Myles. Thanks for replying, Don.-M
Old 04-05-2008, 20:23   #11

from the conversion guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Hey Wey, Great minds think alike. I have taken pictures of the cabin cruiser and will post it to Craigs list. our only immediate problem is that this boat was abandoned here at our local Marina and it sounds like one really has to go through the paces to get the title, unlike a car that had been abandoned. But today i think i have aquired a sailboat hull abandoned in 1975. and do you think i can afford the QED, Queen Elizabeth.
ok, seriously, i have alot of small to medium boats here at our Marina. id like to turn them out. So the conversion question is still up for chat. Anyboody ever add a keel to a flat bottom or vee. Thanks again for your reply.-M
Old 04-05-2008, 21:06   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Inexpensive conversion

If all your looking for is a powerboat and have a spare table sitting around:

Oh yeah... QED

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 22:49   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Good on ya Myles. Best of luck on the sailboat.
Converting a powerboat to a sailboat is not really possible. The hull on a sailboat is designed to mover through the water on an angle of heel for a starter. That usually stuffs up most power designs. One boat that is a cross between the two is the McGregor. It fits a need and those that have one do so because it meets that need. But in a purest sense, the design doesn't perform well in either mode.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 23:28   #14

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Only insofar as this is not a mathematics/logic question with a specific answer that can be reached by logilal steps.

Given that the origianl poster asks us to demonstrate how to achieve a desired result (owning a sailboat) from a starting assertion (he owns a motor boat), and given that I proposed a set of logical steps, starting from his original motor boat and ending with a sailboat, I would have thought that QED was moderately appropriate.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 23:42   #15

Boat: Hartley RORC 32
hey weyalan
you are a worry
hooked on water is offline   Reply With Quote