Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2022, 06:45   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: convince me to roll and tip, instead of spray

I like the original Awlgrip topcoat and use Insignia White. I don’t have to tip it, just roll it and you simply can’t tell it was rolled instead of sprayed.

Of course it requires different activators, thinners etc. The only deviation from manufacturers instructions is that I thin it a bit further, which I think is needed in the tropical climate we are in.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 08:20   #17

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

OP stated he's going to use AlexSeal. Flee's posting of vid clarifies issue.
Huge advantage to AlexSeal is the "no tip", roll on and ability to repair/sand/feather if needed.
I suppose it can be sprayed; but I don't believe that's the way or reason it's marketed as it is.

Just sayin'
deltaten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 08:24   #18

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Loved the comments about controlling moisture output with electric heaters. Clearly most folks haven’t experienced Seattle rainfest in the wintertime…

Always had excellent results rolling/tipping (and brushing) interlux urathane on my boat in Everett. Humidity never a problem. Never any wet sanding, although I don’t care about a mirror finish.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 07:06   #19
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

We rolled and tipped Interlux Perfection. On two 30+foot boats, three rowing shells of various sizes, our binnacle pedestal, and a hard dinghy. I love it.

I suggest painting something smaller first to get a feel for it.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 07:06   #20

Boat: Privilege 482

Roll and tip on the hulls if you want, but if you're re-doing the cockpit, or other areas where you are up close to the finished product, nothing will look as good as a proper sprayed on finish.
Old 31-10-2022, 07:09   #21
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Roll and tip on the hulls if you want, but if you're re-doing the cockpit, or other areas where you are up close to the finished product, nothing will look as good as a proper sprayed on finish.
Actually, I've found that Interlux Brightside one-part paint and Kiwigrip is perfect for the deck and cockpit. It's quick and easy to give it another coat after 5 years or so.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 07:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Actually, I've found that Interlux Brightside one-part paint and Kiwigrip is perfect for the deck and cockpit. It's quick and easy to give it another coat after 5 years or so.

Quick and easy sure. But if you want something that looks as good as what came out of the factory, you're going to want to spray it. In low light/ shadows, a roll & tip job can look great, but when the sun hits the surface just right, all those brush strokes stand out. It's really matter of personal preference. If small imperfections don't bother you, do the roll and tip. But for us, in the cockpit at least, where you're sitting right next to what you've painted, we opted to put the extra work in to properly prep and tape and then get the better finish. YMMV.
Old 31-10-2022, 07:42   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Quick and easy sure. But if you want something that looks as good as what came out of the factory, you're going to want to spray it. In low light/ shadows, a roll & tip job can look great, but when the sun hits the surface just right, all those brush strokes stand out. It's really matter of personal preference. If small imperfections don't bother you, do the roll and tip. But for us, in the cockpit at least, where you're sitting right next to what you've painted, we opted to put the extra work in to properly prep and tape and then get the better finish. YMMV.
No, you have not seen a proper roll and tip job yet, because it is a mirror finish like a spray job with absolutely no sign of a roller or brush ever been used. The only reason a pro can tell is because of the lack of overspray or mistakes made with either method.

Old 31-10-2022, 07:46   #24

Under 20 feet it’s a toss up.
edlepera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 07:55   #25

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No, you have not seen a proper roll and tip job yet, because it is a mirror finish like a spray job with absolutely no sign of a roller or brush ever been used. The only reason a pro can tell is because of the lack of overspray or mistakes made with either method.
I’m no “pro” but can easily discern the difference. Also, I think it’s an oxymoron to call hand painting a “proper” job as it is a a cheaper compromise alternative to spraying.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 07:58   #26

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I’m no “pro” but can easily discern the difference. Also, I think it’s an oxymoron to call hand painting a “proper” job as it is a a cheaper compromise alternative to spraying.
Unless you have access to an enclosed shop, spraying is becoming less and less of an option as lots of yards will not allow spraying outdoors ( even with a temporary enclosure) pretty much only leaves rolling & tipping for the DIY'er!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 08:02   #27

Quote:

Either 1) You saw the work of a Michelangelo-esque artist who got lucky and put down the closest to perfection roll & tip job ever, or

2) You're needing some new glasses.

If getting a perfect roll & tip job was so easy, the pros would be doing it and not spending all that time on taping and prep. I've tried both, had paint pros show me their results with both. You can come close and get "good enough" for most with roll & tip, but proper spraying will always result in a better finish.
Old 31-10-2022, 08:07   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Explain how you easily tell one from the other? What paint was used?

Old 31-10-2022, 08:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Unless you have access to an enclosed shop, spraying is becoming less and less of an option as lots of yards will not allow spraying outdoors ( even with a temporary enclosure) pretty much only leaves rolling & tipping for the DIY'er!
I suspect that constraint varies from country to country, state to state and yard to yard but the premise the two techniques are indiscernible is frivolous regardless of location.
Old 31-10-2022, 08:11   #30

Quote:
Explain how you easily tell one from the other? What paint was used?
The technique to identify quality is simple - Get within 10 feet. As to the paint, It’s the how, not the what which matters.