Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2022, 03:03   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: convince me to roll and tip, instead of spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
How about a recommendation for roller covers for use with two part non tipped paint?
I've used 6" Redtree phenolic core foam rollers, with the thinnest foam (it's yellow) to roll red Awlgrip on a hull with no tipping after. I had a spotter rubbernecking for holidays and runs, and we did a pretty nice job. Roller falls apart after 45 min or so: got to keep more handy.
For smaller jobs, I use 1/4" mohair hotdog rollers, but with those I have to tip.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:54   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
Why paint when you can Gel coat?
And I think the idea of you can tip properly, less sanding - I can’t though.
Gelcoat...To get a finished product it's another massive level of sanding, compounding and polishing. Gelcoat can't be thinned to the extent paint can so that's an additional learning process with the spray rig. Its way more effort and skill required than rolling or spraying.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:56   #48

Boat: Pearson 365

regarding roll and tip-I’ve done it twice with Interlux Perfection and once with Epiphanes. Both produce brilliant results with incredible gloss. The Epiphanes seems much more durable and almost immune to scratching. The Perfection seemed not to resist scratches as well. Did Perfection in flag blue and five years Later showed a lot of scratches. Hit docks hard with theEpiphanes painted boat and feared the worst, but the PAINT WOULDN’T SCRATCH
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:07   #49
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
regarding roll and tip-I’ve done it twice with Interlux Perfection and once with Epiphanes. Both produce brilliant results with incredible gloss. The Epiphanes seems much more durable and almost immune to scratching. The Perfection seemed not to resist scratches as well. Did Perfection in flag blue and five years Later showed a lot of scratches. Hit docks hard with theEpiphanes painted boat and feared the worst, but the PAINT WOULDN’T SCRATCH
That’s good info, thank you

Were both Interlux and Epifanes 1-part or 2-part paints? Using blue I guess you had to tip it after rolling? What roller cover and what brush did you use?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:06   #50

Boat: Pearson 365

Both were two part and both needed judicious reducing as a batch aged. The epiphanes also seemed a little less finicky regarding weather. I don’t recall the rollers, but I know I tipped with a foam brush
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:45   #51

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

s/v Jedi, do you have any pictures of roll and tipped hulls you've done close up and in angled light (the kind of light where imperfections pop)? You've got me now considering rolling and tipping our Pearson 424 with a nice two part this spring.

I rolled and tipped a C&C 30 a few years ago with interlux brightside. I prepped for 3 days and really worked hard to make a nice finish, but it was definitely a "10 foot finish" in the end. I think a lot of that was the inexpensive one part paint.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 13:35   #52

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by theller View Post
Fully tented boat - all 42' of it. Ability to control environment through the winter w/ a 200k btu kerosene heater. Using AlexSeal

Talk me out of spraying?
I think you might want to avoid using a kerosene heater, if spraying a combustible paint.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 14:33   #53

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Rolled and tipped Awlgrip Flag blue, certainly not perfect, but pretty nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220124_090332(1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	266684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220430_182110.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	266685  

Name:	Resized_20220502_094401.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	266686  
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 15:16   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I think you might want to avoid using a kerosene heater, if spraying a combustible paint.
But flamethrowers are so much fun...
Old 02-11-2022, 15:17   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Rolled and tipped Awlgrip Flag blue, certainly not perfect, but pretty nice.
Looks great. Do you by any chance have any closer shots where you can see the texture of the paint?
Old 02-11-2022, 15:34   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Looks great. Do you by any chance have any closer shots where you can see the texture of the paint?
I'll look, but I will say this...and others have said as much, any imperfections in primer or prep will certainly show up. However, any imperfection that could be seen standing next to the boat on the hard could not be seen in the water at the dock. I've gotten a ton of compliments and most complimentors don't believe it was rolled and tipped.
By Thomm225 on here can testify to it being rolled and tipped in a busy boat yard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220430_182146.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	266688   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220502_093416.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	266689  

Old 02-11-2022, 15:40   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I'll look, but I will say this...and others have said as much, any imperfections in primer or prep will certainly show up. However, any imperfection that could be seen standing next to the boat on the hard could not be seen in the water at the dock. I've gotten a ton of compliments and most complimentors don't believe it was rolled and tipped.
By Thomm225 on here can testify to it being rolled and tipped in a busy boat yard
Cruiser2B, thanks. This does look significantly better than the boat I painted with the one part Interlux Brightside.
Old 02-11-2022, 17:16   #58

Boat: Volkscruiser

Cruiser 2B that looks fantastic, what colour undercoat did you use? I recently observed a couple doing a blue roll and tip paint job on a yacht and it looked terrible. I really wanted to offer to put it in the spray booth and let me spray it for them.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 18:19   #59
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
s/v Jedi, do you have any pictures of roll and tipped hulls you've done close up and in angled light (the kind of light where imperfections pop)? You've got me now considering rolling and tipping our Pearson 424 with a nice two part this spring.

I rolled and tipped a C&C 30 a few years ago with interlux brightside. I prepped for 3 days and really worked hard to make a nice finish, but it was definitely a "10 foot finish" in the end. I think a lot of that was the inexpensive one part paint.
I have never painted a hull bigger than a Mirror Dinghy, my first boat … still bringing up the courage for my 64’ long current one…

I did some experiments with Brightside and I wasn’t impressed at all because it gave me countless bubbles where other paints I tested did not. This was with white paint, which doesn’t need tipping with many other brands I tried.

It isn’t easy for me to recommend Awlgrip to people who never used it. It is poisonous and even when rolling you need a cartridge respirator. But it is the best ever finish ai have seen. Watch all the YouTube videos, reduce more until just a roller provides the mirror-like finish (for white paint). You can’t repair/polish this paint and many call that a negative… but it is also maintenance free for 15 years or more and very durable. I haven’t seen a paint more durable.

The primer I use is Awlgrip 545. I believe it is the secret weapon of the Awlgrip system, and the topcoat is just to hide it and keep UV away. It is hard to get a nice finish from 545 and I always end up with orange peel. But it sands easy.

Our boat has original gelcoat where I didn’t paint yet. The parts I painted are much straighter, smoother, so I think I overdid the priming and fairing process.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 19:07   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Cruiser 2B that looks fantastic, what colour undercoat did you use? I recently observed a couple doing a blue roll and tip paint job on a yacht and it looked terrible. I really wanted to offer to put it in the spray booth and let me spray it for them.
Cheers
That is 2 heavy primer 4 thin coats of paint
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220407_135603.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	266694  
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal