Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 08:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
A quick google of 'alternative hull paints' and 'non-copper antifouling' led me to conclude that A: nothing worth while is on the horizon, and B: citizens of Southern California in general and the Port of San Diego in particular would rather turn their harbors and commerce centers into nature trails.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 14:00   #17

Seems to me that there's a lot of theory about this whole thing, and maybe, just maybe, it's safe to paint an aluminium hull with Coppercoat. But would I take the risk? Absolutely completely and definitely not! And we shouldn't be confused with tales of having applied Coppercoat to 40 steel and aluminium boats without problems either - as has been stated already it's fine with steel, possibly not with aluminium, so "40 steel and aluminium boats" is meaningless. 39 steel and 1 aluminium? 35 steel and 5 aluminium? Who knows?
Dedzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 14:23   #18

Boat: Trismus 37
I to am looking for a modern antifoulant that can give protection to an alluminium hull, unfortunately nothing comes close to the earlier TBT based antifouls. I have used both Trilux and Trilux33, they seem to be the best of a bad bunch with the cheaper Trilux working better on my hull than the very expensive Trilux33. Most if not all Navys still use TBT based paints. There should never have been a blanket approach to the banning of TBT as a cruising yacht/boat that is "cruising" would not have the capacity to have any effect on marine life as against the large marina based fleets (where the tests were done) that generally never moves and therefore had an effect especially in non or slow flushing marinas. The accord re the banning of TBT isn't universal there are quite a few countries that havn't ratified the protocol. So if you ever get to a country that hasn't ratified, stock up for the next few years.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-fouling