Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2018, 09:56   #1

Boat: 1981 Hunter 33 Cherubini
Copper Chloride in dinghy bottom paint?

Hi
yes, I known copper oxide works, but has anyone had any chance to use copper chloride in bottom paint? I'm painting a dinghy bottom that will be rolled on and off sandy beaches often, and would like to mix some light blue/green copper chloride into the 2 part epoxy paint that is going on the bottom. Has anyone had any experience using this?
many thanks
Bob
Bob Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 09:29   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Copper Chloride in dinghy bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pullen View Post
Hi
yes, I known copper oxide works, but has anyone had any chance to use copper chloride in bottom paint? I'm painting a dinghy bottom that will be rolled on and off sandy beaches often, and would like to mix some light blue/green copper chloride into the 2 part epoxy paint that is going on the bottom. Has anyone had any experience using this?
many thanks
Bob
Without some method of continuously delivering the copper chloride biocide to the boundary layer between the paint surface and the water, it's doubtful your kitchen sink chemistry experiment will be particularly effective.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 09:51   #3

Thanks for your input. As I may have mentioned, this dinghy will be pulled up every few days, on a very coarse sand beach. The ablative action will come from the light sanding it will get every few days or so.
I have already put a few coats of very hard 2-part epoxy on it.
The only question I have is if anyone has had any experience using the chemical instead of CuO2, typically found in bottom ablative paints.
I have been a spearfisherman and diver for the better part of my lifetime, which is ticking over 60yrs at this point.
the waters I dive in are over 150' viz, and hence the bottom of your dive dinghy is an influence to the fish when you approach a coral patch. My dinghy is painted light sky blue, and addding a light blue biocide which is forecast to tinge slightly to the light green, on the bottom, instead of something that will be dark, makes a difference to how the fish societies below perceive your approach to their living quarters.
No need to criticize what you don't understand, yet.
improvements derived from kitchen sink experiments are not less valid than conventional efforts, if they create the results you are aiming for
coexist and learn, but please save your smug criticisms from this board, and those trying to find solutions
thanks & cheers
Old 29-09-2018, 09:57   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pullen View Post
...please save your smug criticisms from this board, and those trying to find solutions
A little sensitive, are we?

I didn't offer any criticism, smug or otherwise. I merely pointed out the flaw in your plan. If that offends you, don't ask for feedback in a public place.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 10:22   #5

Boat: Pearson 10M

Bob I think a chill pill is needed. Good advice was offered.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 10:46   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
Bob I think a chill pill is needed. Good advice was offered.
Although it sounds like not enough info. in the first post, so both may be correct.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 11:10   #7

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a wood boat with a copper plated bottom. To be effective, the copper plating would have to be sanded bright. Since it would cost thousands to replate, I use paint.
Copper powder and other ingredients can be mixed into paint, but the mix needs to be about 75% copper in the tropics. If you don't care about the EPA, add a little arsenic and tin to help keep the bottom clear for a few months in warm waters. All of it only works if it is on the surface of the paint. It doesn't last long.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 11:34   #8

Thanks very much for sharing.
Your experienced insight is exactly what I was looking for.
I appreciate your help.
cheers
Old 30-09-2018, 11:43   #9

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Give it a try and let us know. Your thought that dragging your dinghy over a sand bottom will continually expose new particles of ionic copper is on the right track.
I'd suggest as a further good "kitchen sink" experiment, as after all this is a dink that doesn't need an expensive haulout, and needs a minimal amount of paint to cover. You might try several small patches of copper oxide and copper particles as your additives. That way you could compare and let us know your results. I understand your desire to have the proper colour for your fishing, but I'd think that small test patches of slightly different colour wouldn't be of much significance to your prey. Heck, if you have access to tin and maybe arsenic, test patches of those too. At such infinitesimally small amounts, I doubt these would have much of an environmental effect past immediately under your dink.
Good luck from all of us home experimenters and let us know what you find.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 11:47   #10

Boat: cheoy lee 43 pilothouse

may I suggest going superhydrophobic/lotus effect....adding superhydrophobic fumed silica.

DOW CORNING® 88 ADDITIVE or,
"Our technical service team suggests you try our CAB-O-SIL TS-720.
It’s generally considered the most hydrophobic grade. If viscosity is too high when you incorporate it into the epoxy, then CAB-O-SIL TS-530 might be an alternative. "

I did try the TS-720 on my epoxy dinghy...added grahite powder and ts-720 to the mix about 20 months ago, dinghy get haul out at night....nothing growing at all,not even a stain...but Tahiti ain't like Carthagena!!
oceane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 12:03   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Copper oxide is water soluble as is copper chloride. It will work great.... for maybe 5 minutes.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 13:16   #12

There are several brand sof bottom paint that come in a rainbow of colors including blue and white. I'd try mixing to the right color.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 15:37   #13

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Copper Chloride in dinghy bottom paint?

Try cupric sulfate it is blue and works wonders when mixed in Sea Hawk 47. Of course you have to do it outside the US waters. I’m in the Carib.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 18:13   #14

Boat: Dix 43 HD

Bob hi
different colours on the bottom of the boat was suggested by Andy as a way to evaluate different paint mixes.
It is also possible that slightly different colours on the bottom of the boat will help "camouflage" the dingy and allow you to use a harder wearing paint/antfoul which will overall be better for the fish environment.

Some of the new wetsuits use camo designs for similar reasons

Good luck
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 20:45   #15

Boat: Trevor Banks 44 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post
may I suggest going superhydrophobic/lotus effect....adding superhydrophobic fumed silica.

DOW CORNING® 88 ADDITIVE or,
"Our technical service team suggests you try our CAB-O-SIL TS-720.
It’s generally considered the most hydrophobic grade. If viscosity is too high when you incorporate it into the epoxy, then CAB-O-SIL TS-530 might be an alternative. "

I did try the TS-720 on my epoxy dinghy...added grahite powder and ts-720 to the mix about 20 months ago, dinghy get haul out at night....nothing growing at all,not even a stain...but Tahiti ain't like Carthagena!!

Do you haul your dinghy out every night? If so, I wouldn't expect any growth even if it were left unpainted.

As a year round moored out live aboard, my hard dinghy may spend weeks at a time tied along side, but when I sail, I haul it up on the nets. I've been looking for a hard coating that would prevent growth but would not rub off on the nets. The nets are a great place for a nap on a sunny day, so I don't want them covered in toxic paint!
This sounds like a great iidea, but not if I have to haul the dinghy aboard every night.
markcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, dinghy, paint