Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2012, 23:03   #1

Copper Mesh Lightning Protection

I am rebedding cabin top hardware and some of the copper mesh in the ceiling is corroded. I want to repair/improve the shielding from strike. What is the best way to ground this mesh? To the SS compression post to the keel or?
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 01:49   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Copper Mesh Lightning Protection

The most important form of lightning protection is to ground the mast. When done correctly this provides the safest path to dissipate the energy from the strike.

There is some slight addition protection afforded to metal boats from the faraday cage effect, but I have never heard of someone trying to duplicate this of a fiberglass boat.
A proper faraday cage provides very good protection, but it requires special metals to dissipate the electrical and magnetic pulse generated by the strike. A copper mesh, particuarly with holes for hatches etc will only do a poor job, even if you can achieve, and maintain, good conduction around the whole of the boat.
Frankly I amazed someone would try to do this and I would not attempt to repair the system.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 05:05   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I suspect the copper mesh is not for a faraday cage, but for a counterpoise to a radio system. Is your SSB connected to it?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 08:09   #4

You hit the nail on the head it certainly looks like a faraday cage. It is a bit odd because the ssb has a 3"copper strap which is NOT connected to the copper screen. When I step the mast next season I'll check the copper grounding for lightening but I am interested in the screen?

Thanks.
Old 28-10-2012, 21:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I suspect the copper mesh is not for a faraday cage, but for a counterpoise to a radio system. Is your SSB connected to it?

Mark
Hey Mark. You're on the mark. Found the ground. Old counterpoise. New counterpoise added later I guess.

Thanks.

Tags
lightning