Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 15:47   #16

Re: Corian as Hatch Material

Contrary to some expressed opinions Corian is translucent. The amount of light transmittance being a function of the thickness. The attached photo is a lamp with a Corian lithophane shade. I used to work with a CNC programming software that would let you do this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithophane

It is also quite strong and durable, would you use sheet acrylic used as lens material on a hatch for a counter top? No, of course not. It wouldn't stand the abuse. Corian is routinely used for unsupported panel sizes up to 24" x 36" for kitchen sink cut outs.

Corian is much denser and more scratch resistant that common acrylic sheet. Likewise more dimensionally stable. It is maybe not as resilient due to it's hardness as has been pointed out.

If I were to use it for a hatch material I would buy LG Hi-Macs since it is the same thing but cheaper. I would use wood screws with finish washers, taking care to oversize my pilot holes for the screw shanks to allow for thermal expansion, and bed it with 3M 4200 or maybe Dow 795 except I don't think you can get 795 in white. Would be fine for the OP's application. I wouldn't try to bend it to any kind of camber without thermofroming it.

Or, the OP could just replace his existing acrylic with new, clear acrylic. It would surely last as long as the original material has. Although replacing the dorade box covers with clear would mean that you could see all the dirt and stuff likely inside the boxes.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/bonding...art-laminates/

http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/du..._of_Corian.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1095.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	137881  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:48   #17

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

Use king starboard or. Plastic wood. Easy to clean with Soft scrub. Easy to work with and you can bend it with a heat gun. Corian is way to hard to work with and it will crack!
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:00   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

I would list corian, starboard and cardboard as my three least likely to use materials to build a hatch.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:21   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I would list corian, starboard and cardboard as my three least likely to use materials to build a hatch.
I'm with you, although Corian counter tops is my extent of experience. Anything with an overhang of more the an inch required a plywood substrate.

Lexan/polycarbonate is literally bullet proof. It will scratch however so don't let a date dance on it in high heels.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch