Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 08:54   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Cost of Fixing Teak Decking?

neilsty I think there is only one reason why the chaulking is coming out. Heat? Made in the cold and extending in the carribean?

Think the easiest and best way is to take a good specialized knive an to cut the chaulking. But when you go back to the cold?...

And the only effort of this action might have been that you sanded a lot of worthy wood away to have a deck like your floor in the living room.

Sorry but I deeply believe that this is stupid. Wood and all materials are expanding an resetting themselves due to the temperatur.

My PRAY: leave the teak alone, do not sand, do not oil, do not paint
The only excuse is when the deck is not tight anymore.
moseriw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 09:14   #47

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I had three quotes, one in Mexico. All were within $5k of each other—$100,000 to replace the deck on a 50 ft Wauquiez. The wood alone was going to run almost $40k.

I decided to have a sand and recaulk. The project took a month, and cost about $15k including three cases of TDS caulk and other materials.

If I had to replace the deck, I would remove the old wood, epoxy 1/4inch G-10 ( to add strength and reduce the amount of fairing need), fair, and paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB39E2A3-73C7-4A36-A9B7-B90ABCFDB86B.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	196001   Click image for larger version

Name:	C880206A-3BDF-4D58-AC75-68FFF16A6C83.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	196002  

Name:	22D87880-8E85-4092-8F1D-842126921FCD.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	196003   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F980C22-29BF-49A3-8997-F37871B38B7D.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	196004  

CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 11:05   #48

Boat: Olson 40

This is the best I could find:

https://www.teakdecking.com/?option=...=15&Itemid=116
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 12:04   #49

If going for option 1 it cost me £1,200 for sanding/recaulking of badly worn teak decking/cockpit seats on a 38ft yacht in 2016 (Plymouth, UK). The boat was 13yrs old with deep ridges in the teak (veneer over ply). Looked like new after and still Ok 3 yrs later. There's probably enough teak depth left for another (light) sanding if needed so it should be acceptable for another decade - fingers crossed. See final bill details attached.

Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Looking at a few different boats and some of them need either:

The Teak sanding back and re-caulking

or

Completely replacing

Boats are in the 53' region and based in Europe - Anyone have any experience and can give me an idea of the rough cost of either of the above?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	teak.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	196011  
Sgparkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 13:52   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Looking at a few different boats and some of them need either:

The Teak sanding back and re-caulking

or

Completely replacing

Boats are in the 53' region and based in Europe - Anyone have any experience and can give me an idea of the rough cost of either of the above?

I’ve just completed the same job on an Oyster 53. Sanding down and re corking where necessary, took just over 4 weeks. My advantage was that I stripped the deck of everything..
Hopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 15:03   #51

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvich View Post
I own a wooden boat, so am certainly not afraid of DIY. There are however a lot of stories out there that end sadly because somebody bought a boat to go sailing that needed work and then found out a number of years later that they were not doing what they wanted to do, which was go sailing. Be clear with yourself whether or not you like to work on stuff. It is its own kind of therapy and brings joy to some and heartbreak to others. If sailing is what you really want to do make sure you take a short route to get there. I like to work on stuff and get joy from working on my boat. But its wood. Fiberglass is not my material of choice and does nothing for my soul, my attitude or my health when I have to work on it. At this stage of my life you couldn't pay me enough to take on the project of replacing a teak deck. Consider this before you get talked into doing it yourself to save money.
Paying someone else to do the work can range from unskilled labor doing what you ask of them to paying someone who works completely independently and delivers a finished project. People tend to forget when discussing these projects that one person thinks the job is done when the deck has been laid. Another would expect that all the gear and hardware has been replaced and properly bedded. The later takes time and planning. It also adds a considerable amount of labor. Know which one you are getting a quote for. How much stuff needs to come off that deck before work starts on it? Will it all be reused or will there be major upgrades while its all apart?

As for the decks, I'd be concerned first with what the teak is laid over. If it is balsa core or foam cored you better figure out whether its been soaking up water. If plywood then you still need to be concerned with how wet it might be, but its somewhat more forgiving, unless of course its gone completely soft in which case you still have a mess.

If the above paragraph makes no sense to you then consider that you might not want to do the work yourself. In fact if the above does not make any sense to you then consider that you are not the right person to judge whether to buy the yacht in question. Learning about different construction techniques is best done before you decide to buy a boat that "needs some work".

Buying a boat is like getting married. At some point you will wonder what you were thinking. Make sure the one you pick is worth the effort of getting past the rough spots. Because I've never seen a boat project that went as planned. There's always something lurking that you wished you didn't find.
Rvich, this is a pearl of wisdom!
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 15:35   #52

I have an HR40 and the teak had dropped far enough below the inlays that water and stuff weren’t running off well. So, I spent $2100US to have the inlays trimmed (simply a sharp chisel) and lightly sanded. It’s a screw down teak deck, but that’s only for when it is installed, so everywhere the teak plugs pop out, I removed the screws, back filled with epoxy and capped with new teak plugs. The next day, trim the excess plug with a sharp chisel and sand. Easy and the deck looks great. Keep the teak!
Defarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 18:39   #53

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Plenty of bad info/bad advice on this forum regarding teak decks. A good friend had his 65ft Swan completely replaced by a high quality yard in Italy for under €50k a few years ago. I refinished my own 53ft Oyster decks for under $2,000 and 400 hours of labor and now they’re like new and good for another 10 years or more.

You’re going to just get stupid high estimates on the internet from people repeating what they’ve heard. Do your homework, then get an estimate in Italy or buy a boat with the decks already done, this forum is the wrong place to look for your answer. IMO

And... don’t expect the previous owner to buy you some new decks just because they look a little worn or grey; if you want brand new decks, you should be looking at brand new boats.
I am a shipwright and done many teak deck repairs and new . Couldn't agree more what you said.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 18:57   #54

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgparkin View Post
If going for option 1 it cost me £1,200 for sanding/recaulking of badly worn teak decking/cockpit seats on a 38ft yacht in 2016 (Plymouth, UK). The boat was 13yrs old with deep ridges in the teak (veneer over ply). Looked like new after and still Ok 3 yrs later. There's probably enough teak depth left for another (light) sanding if needed so it should be acceptable for another decade - fingers crossed. See final bill details attached.

Simon
15 quid an hour for labour! If only... Here in NZ double that would be very cheap indeed, more like three times.

But a 13 year old boat with glued-on teak is a very different animal from an old boat with screwed and bunged teak.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 07:47   #55

Boat: Rival 32

Tom Cunliffe just posted a video on his Youtube channel, on this very subject.
You may find it interesting.

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck