Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2023, 07:23   #1

Boat: Catalina 27, Tall Rig Wing Keel
Cost to Machine Swage Lifeline Studs

I am going about replacing the lifelines on my Catalina 27, and am going to do so with Stainless Steel cables. I have gotten together a list of the parts I will need (buying most from e-rigging.com).

My final step is to now find a shop that will machine swage the studs for me, the yard where my boat is at now quoted me at $35 per fitting. To me this price seems wildly high seeing as it is a quick job and the machine are relatively inexpensive (on the scale of a very large boat yard). I have since reached out to a few other locations near me and am awaiting to hear back, a few questions on this. First, is $35 a normal price for this kind of work? Is there something more to the process I am missing? Finally, what prices have you all paid for this?

Thanks!!
new-to-sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 07:25   #2

Re: Cost to Machine Swage Lifeline Studs

One more note for additional context (not sure how much this should change pricing though). I am having threaded studs swaged onto 3/16 wire.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:43   #3

Rigging Only in New Bedford, Ma-charges $8.58 for lifeline swaging. Usually very competitive pricing on all rigging parts. They also are rigging experts not just online sellers. Might be worth checking them out.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 07:47   #4

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Shop time expensive. As an alternative, you may want to price Suncor “Quick Attach” system that can be installed with wrenches. Or they offer hand swage fittings and sell the hand swage tool for about $200.

I changed my lifelines using the Quick Attach system about ten years ago. No complaints so far.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:32   #5

Seems high to me. Does that include the fitting?
You can order this stuff made to order on line.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:37   #6

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Seems high to me. Does that include the fitting?
You can order this stuff made to order on line.
To thread through stanchions, still need to connect one end on boat.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
Not sure what this means?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:23   #8

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Not necessarily. On every boat I've had the turnbuckle studs will thread through the holes or loops in the stanchions. An eye end, no. I suppose if the holes were smaller that wouldn't work, but I've never seen that. I think they size the holes for that purpose.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:58   #9

Threaded studs will be able to fit through the stanchions so the shop doing it can be anywhere. I didn’t consider that an online shop could do this for me though I’m trying to keep costs down and DIY this as much as possible.

I was quoted $1,500 to have all the work done by the same shop that quoted $35 per machine swage. Supplies should only be about $300 so hoping to get it done for under $500 just need to get a reasonable quote on the machine swage. In the Chicago area if anyone has ideas.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:58   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Typically one end of the lifeline assembly with have a turnbuckle or something which means that there will be a stud on the swage end. the holes in the stanchion will typically be sized so that this swage stud end can pass through.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 10:19   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

A second vote for Rigging Only. They are used to shipping, even internationally.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 10:39   #12

Boat: Sail Club member sailing Other Peoples Boats. Catalina 27/Hunter 28.5

Not sure if their products will work for your application but I have seen their company mentioned here in the forum before. I build a lot of stainless cable, deck and pedestrian railing that are required to meet loading levels to prevent falls per IBC. That SS cable is 3/16" 316L SS. They supply finished runs of cable to my dimensions and the threaded take-up for adjustment and tensioning allows for a generous 3/8" per end- so 3/4" if swaged and adjustable at both ends. Customer support is very good and pricing about as good as it gets for that industry. Seco South in Forida. You can access their products on the site and consider their application for your use.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 10:49   #13

Boat: Dufour 29

Was faced with same issue a few years back. Decided it was worth getting swage tool, which I now have for future use as needed.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 10:58   #14

Boat: Catalina 34

In Chicago, try Kristian at Chicago Yacht Rigging (sales@chicagoyachtrigging.com). He built lifelines for my Catalina 34 several years ago and at the time pricing was competitive. I gave him the old lifelines in the fall and had new ones in the spring.
Donnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 11:18   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Have you thought of using Sta-lok?

https://www.stalok.com/product-categ...fit-terminals/

I had the wire cut slightly over length and a swage fitted to one end by the local rigging shop. Once on board I then cut the wire to size and fitted a Sta-lok with an eye to enable a lashing for the last 4 inches.

Slightly more complicated I had Pelican hooks inserted in the middle of the lower life line so I can undo when in harbour and lift the dog on board without having to lift over the top. Actually what happens is once the wire is disconnected and moved out of the way, the dog can jump on and off on his own.

It was still £200 for the four lines and fittings, but they were over 30 years old and had white plastic on them so no way of telling what condition they were in. Therefore replaced with plain wire so I can see and inspect.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote