Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2017, 02:18   #31

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: Costs of teak removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmartin View Post
Well, I've tried it with cream colors, never anything dark.
Check also the Bestevaer 49ST thread. Lots of discussion on white and grey, starting at: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...147499-43.html

Quote:
Shoot, this makes we want to take a laser thermometer around the docks tomorrow and gather data.

But it's supposed to rain all week...
Then you can check also if the teak decks dry faster .
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 05:14   #32

When one is buying a 30-35 year old boat how much of add'l life one expects from it? 5 years? 10? 15? Unless the deck is exceedingly wet, what is the upshot to do all that too expensive "fix" to a problem which may not come into existence in the next 5-10 years? I would just take the $$ saved on removing the teak and invest it in a good cover/shed or some such winter storage, if any.

Also in the tropics, where freeze induced delamination should not really be an issue, unless you have a deck stepped mast, how is wet deck with teak as a stiffener will be potentially so catastrophic?

As a boat builder friend of mine likes to muse - most plastic boats, even those in bad shape, will still outlive their last owner, if not sent to the landfill first.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 13:19   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
When one is buying a 30-35 year old boat how much of add'l life one expects from it? 5 years? 10? 15?
100. Not planning to buy a bolted-keel osmosis-queen "modern" floating apartment scrapped by charter operators, shopping for a boat. Well kept fiberglass - just like well primed and maintained steel - lasts forever. Just trying to reduce nonsense cost points - apparently teak deck is one of them (also learnt Volvo engines are another...)
Old 23-10-2017, 10:03   #34

Boat: '90 Jeanneau Voyage 12.5

Was going to start a new thread, but likely fits in here just as well. I've looked at a few boats lately (alberg 37, tayana 37, etc) that looked excellent, well cared. However, moisture/sounding issues on the decks on both incl mast step. my inclination it to move on given the enormity of replacing and repairing the deck, but curious how much of a discount would begin to make it worthwhile to consider doing?
sandrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 08:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, this dishonest hypocrite would not have a boat with teak decks. OOhhh, the shame of it all...
Agree completely! I see no benefit to teak decks that is worth the maintenance and seemingly inevitable repairs that they demand.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, teak