Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2022, 06:17   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Could use a little advice. Aluminum or Fiberglass for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Build a stainless steel compression post to take the weight. Box it in with non structural material of your choice
Not bad. So the box would keep the top of it from moving side to side?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 07:13   #47

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'd build the table with foam core, and the same for the verticals.

The weight isn't a show stopper if you chose to build with plywood. It might weigh 50 lbs more, but take half as long to build. I'd favor plywood for speed and cost of build.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 21-10-2022, 07:25   #48

I'm late to this thread, but here are my thoughts.

It should be noted that biekers mast base looks like it uses the cabin top to help mitigate side loads. If you could incorporate the cabin top into the design, any old mast piece could act as the base, with a simple flat piece welded to the top, for your mast to sit on. As long as the mast extension is as large, or larger, than your mast, it would do the trick.

The whole issue with this extension, is side loads, and mating to the existing mast.

I don't know if extending the house top forward in the centre, (like a rounded triangle, or your flat top pyramid on its side, but just being a plate, instead of a box,) is feasible, but it might be easier than a full fledged pyramid; or enhance the pyramids horizontal resistance to loading.

The same method for inducing lateral stability is used on many cats, for the mainsail traveller. Vertical stability through stainless posts, and horizontal stability through the cabin top.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 21-10-2022, 07:28   #49
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Not bad. So the box would keep the top of it from moving side to side?
Yes , equally weld in top and bottom SS plates to add lateral stability

Then the box is mostly cosmetic rather then structural.
Old 22-10-2022, 04:40   #50

Wow this turned into a lot of thinking. I have to figure out which of these paths to follow. There are a lot of good ideas in this thread.

Thanks everyone for contributing to it. I thought I had this all narrowed down. Ha ha ha. I guess not.
Old 22-10-2022, 16:37   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Build a stainless steel compression post to take the weight. Box it in with non structural material of your choice

Looking at this one again for a minute.

What if it was an aluminum compression post? To save weight? To keep the metals similar?

Would it be possible to weld a plate to the top of that and a plate to the bottom of that using a very large lower plate to keep the upper plate from moving out of column?

As in.. would the weld stand up to the cantilevered forces on it?

Maybe I would have to put in some gussets as well? Like the ones in the attached picture?

Then I could simply wrap a matching shroud around it and it would look like it’s part of the mast.

The lower plate could also pull double duty. It could have u bolts in place all over it to act as a deck organizer to clip blocks onto.
Attached Images

Old 22-10-2022, 16:53   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
I'm late to this thread, but here are my thoughts.

It should be noted that biekers mast base looks like it uses the cabin top to help mitigate side loads. If you could incorporate the cabin top into the design, any old mast piece could act as the base, with a simple flat piece welded to the top, for your mast to sit on. As long as the mast extension is as large, or larger, than your mast, it would do the trick.

The whole issue with this extension, is side loads, and mating to the existing mast.

I don't know if extending the house top forward in the centre, (like a rounded triangle, or your flat top pyramid on its side, but just being a plate, instead of a box,) is feasible, but it might be easier than a full fledged pyramid; or enhance the pyramids horizontal resistance to loading.

The same method for inducing lateral stability is used on many cats, for the mainsail traveller. Vertical stability through stainless posts, and horizontal stability through the cabin top.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers.
Paul.

Unfortunately, for many reasons I can’t bring the house forward to surround the top of the compression post or whatever it’s going to be.

One of the primary reasons is there is a set of stairs right there.

But, I may do the foam and glass for the cell control table. Maybe I can dust off my old and fusion skills. That would keep me away from the chemicals. And maybe I can use vinylester or polyester for that.

I guess it’s like you said. Depends on the speed. And depends on my timeline.

I have to take the boat out this winter and use it for a while. To see if I want to spend years continuing to do the interior.
Old 22-10-2022, 16:58   #53

Ah, I didn't know about the stairs. I hope we can share an anchorage this winter!

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 22-10-2022, 20:40   #54

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:

What if it was an aluminum compression post? To save weight? To keep the metals similar?

Would it be possible to weld a plate to the top of that and a plate to the bottom of that using a very large lower plate to keep the upper plate from moving out of column?

Maybe I would have to put in some gussets as well? Like the ones in the attached picture?

Then I could simply wrap a matching shroud around it and it would look like it’s part of the mast.

The lower plate could also pull double duty. It could have u bolts in place all over it to act as a deck organizer to clip blocks onto.

Yes very industrial hmmm don’t think it will fit your aesthetic for the rest of the boat
Old 22-10-2022, 21:43   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Yes very industrial hmmm don’t think it will fit your aesthetic for the rest of the boat
But it would have a shroud around it so you can’t tell it apart from the mast. It would look like a proper extension of the mast aesthetically.
Old 23-10-2022, 12:01   #56

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
But it would have a shroud around it so you can’t tell it apart from the mast. It would look like a proper extension of the mast aesthetically.

That would work so the shroud would no longer be structural
Old 23-10-2022, 12:03   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
That would work so the shroud would no longer be structural
Exactly. I was picturing just a thin piece of plastic that I can bend around into the proper shape. And secure it in the back. Nothing more than a thin cover so it looks like it’s part of the mast. At least for now so I can go sailing.
Old 24-10-2022, 07:10   #58

Boat: Pearson 386

Get her done. Do not extend building a hybrid mast, fiberglass has to be too thick to support the compression loads. Either go with method 1) or sail her with the shorter mast until you have better choices. You might be happier with a shorter rig the first time she sees 50 or 60 knots.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 07:19   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBoatman View Post
Get her done. Do not extend building a hybrid mast, fiberglass has to be too thick to support the compression loads. Either go with method 1) or sail her with the shorter mast until you have better choices. You might be happier with a shorter rig the first time she sees 50 or 60 knots.
I am agreeing with you. To get it done. So I’m going to use that other method with the post or column. Just raise the mast stepping point up a little bit.

That’ll be the fastest way. This thing wouldn’t fit together if I don’t do that. It’s from a boat where it was stepped up on the deck house. It needs to step on the deck. So it needs to be raised.

There is no way to do it any other way actually.

And I wouldn’t want a tiny little rig.I don’t know your experience. I don’t know how much you sail. But I’ve been selling a pretty long time now. And I do not find myself wishing for less wind. I find myself wishing for more.

Destroying the performance capabilities of the boat is really not something I’m interested in. I’d rather build it to the design
Old 24-10-2022, 07:29   #60
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Could use a little advice. Aluminum or Fiberglass for this?

Quote:

Sure a decent fabricator could make it look like a mast extensions , no reason not to use aluminium provided it’s structurally engineered . Stainless give you more wriggle room structurally.

Either way the enclosure should be purely cosmetic. If you make that bit at all.

Tags
Advice, aluminum, fiberglass