Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2009, 05:42   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
As I understand it the CQR was developed during WW1 as an anchor for barrage ballonsb...
According to “Anchors” ~ by N. E. Upham

Geoffrey Ingram Taylor patented his CQR anchor in 1933, intending it for flying boats.

Goto page 29 ➥ Anchors - Google Books

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 07:25   #62

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
thanks for enlightening me on the pros and cons of each.At around $1000. I wouldn't call a CQR a frugal persons anchor.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 07:43   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post

I can see it dragging along on the ground just lying on its side doing ****all.
Given the right storm ropes will chafe, anchors will drag, links and chain will break, windlass will break lose, Sampson post will take off with half of the bow. By experience the one who will survive are the one who experience an early failure, they will be or driven a shore or will be able to motor to a safer place before the storm reach destructive force. The rest will disappear just to be pronounced dead 35 years later when the last wreck is discovered, only the very skilled mariner with a suitable vessel will be able to save his ship.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 07:51   #64

While I have a nexgen anchor on my current boat, in my experience the CQR is a great anchor with two caveats:

The 25lb CQR isn't heavy enough to reliably set in a hard bottom. 35lb is the minimum and even that fails to set more often than I'd like. Now, a 110lb CQR will make a nice hole in the bottom.

The CQR needs a lot of scope and a good amount of chain to keep the angle low. Scope is more important than chain. Some of the newer anchors do better in short scope situations (although moving to a roomier anchorage seems a better solution)

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 08:02   #65

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
My experience has been that CQR is my 'worst' anchor in the locker. FP 43' Cat (disp. 20K lbs.?) carrying 45# CQR, 44# Delta Fastset, 40# Brittany, and Fortress FX55. Anchoring mostly in sand, hard sand, some grass/mud around Florida, the Keys, and Bahamas. The Delta sets 95% of the time, the CQR maybe 20% of the time. I have 200' of 3/8 BBB chain.

I will admit that my CQR may have a physical problem. It jams up when the fluke is forced against one of the stops, it takes a big hammer to get it to swivel again. That may be causing my problems with it setting. I think it was a manufacturing flaw.

The Fortress has never failed to set. I like it a lot, but it doesn't fit my roller/mount, so I manhandle it when I can't get the Delta to hold. I carry 30' of 3/8 BBB and 100' of 3/4 twisted on the Fortress.

The Brittany is used when in a tight spot and need an additional anchor. It's never failed to set, it's just heavy to manhandle.

The CQR is now resting in the garage and I carry the remaining anchors on board.

BTW, I found a good place to get used anchors are the local dive shops. You can pick up a good anchors they 'recovered' for ~20% its new value.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 18:04   #66

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post

The 25lb CQR isn't heavy enough to reliably set in a hard bottom (...) Now, a 110lb CQR will make a nice hole in the bottom.

The CQR needs a lot of scope and a good amount of chain to keep the angle low. Scope is more important than chain.

Carl
Now, someone is talking. Very difficult to count on the long scope, which I would love to have, but oftentimes I do not (too many neighbours or too many obstacles in the water.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, cqr