Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 16:30   #1

Cracked Bulkhead

I own a 34 CAL MKIII for about 3 months, had the mast pulled and rigging re-done, I just noticed that my port side bulkhead with the chain plate has a vertical split in the wood. Wood doesn't seem to be rotton etc.
Any sugestions of where I go from here???

thanks

Sabre
Sabre39RG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 16:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Without a picture its hard to tell. Have a professional like a marine surveyor take a look or the professional at a good boat yard who makes these decisions take a look. You don't want to risk losing your rig.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 16:56   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
I don't remember the issue but a friend of mine wrote an article for Good Old Boat on how to fix a problem with elongated holes on a chain plate bulk head. He took oversized fender washers and then drilled a hole the exact size of the washers on the bulkhead and then epoxied the washers as he slipped them in the now oversized holes. This might work for you even though it is a different situation.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 17:17   #4

Boat: Currently boatless
The first step is to figure out why the bulkhead cracked. Then you can fix the underlying problem. The bulkhead could be replaced or reinforced with another layer of plywood.
Old 02-09-2010, 17:54   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
Whoa, amazin'. Picture?
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48   #6

Thanks,
I just had the mast droped and all new wiring, lights, spinnaker halyard block and antenna replaced/added.
The assistant reset the tunning of the shrouds and they were so tight, I commented they seemed way to tight, like there is a heavy load on them.
I don't know if this could split the bulkhead where the wood seams are glued together or not, but I am going to look into the lbs the shrouds should be.
I had a big leak coming into the cabin, water running down the wires from the mast and through the deck from the mast base. Had to take off molding and re-seal around the wires and whole. No leaks after the last rain
crapy work from a recomended rigging co.
Sabre
Sabre39RG is offline   Reply With Quote