Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 15:01   #1

Boat: Salona 44
Cracks in deck, water intrusion

My deck has these stress lines and cracks along the edges near where the deck meets the hull. This was caused during a hull repair/replacement. Essentially the deck was lifted off the old boat and put on a new hull. So there is a reason for there to be damage. It’s up to me to fix or find someone to do it. It appears there is some water intrusion seen through one of the ceiling light fixtures, presumable from one of these defects. There are numerous areas like this, but most are very subtle and this is the worst. Can I just seal these up or am I looking at more extensive glass work? Thank you in advance.

Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	043AD9FC-0175-4354-A0FA-05DEE6C37713.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	251684   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4A2718F-D8F7-4089-8AC6-F33664E8A4A2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	251685  

Mabel Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 15:49   #2

Boat: Salona 44
Re: Cracks in deck, water intrusion

http://www.magicezy.com/products/hairline-fix/

I guess it won’t hurt to try this.
Mabel Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 16:13   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Cracks caused by deck flexing.

Did the boat sail since the deck was put on the new hull?

If not, then look inside to follow the trail to make sure the deck cracks are the source of the light fixture leak. Water migrates till it finds a propitious spot to come out.

If it were me, I'd want to find someone trustworthy perhaps a licensed, registered surveyor, who could tell me about the integrity of the deck. And that person will need to be able to see what lies under whatever kind of headliner your boat has, as well as the deck.

You can seal whatever cracks you find up, but the deck may have itself been damaged by water intrusion. If you tap with a hammer, moist or delaminated bits will sound different from good solid deck (which is a sharper sound).

Sorry to be the bearer of scary tidings.

Ann
Old 22-01-2022, 14:03   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

What kind of a boat is this? According to your post it would appear that the deck was badly wrenched along the edges to cause the many cracks visible. If the hull was being replaced, the deck should have been cut away from the hull and not needed any wrenching to get it off, so it would seem something was not done properly if the deck was damaged while being worked on. If the deck was damaged at the same time as when the hull was damaged, the cracks should have been repaired before the deck was re-bonded to the new hull. Fixing these cracks, which seem to be more than surface gelcoat crazing because of the leak mentioned, may be a major undertaking.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 14:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

If you provided more information (make/why deck removed, where in the deckhead is the leak appearing ?) you may more useful responses. ie. My wild ass guesses would be very different for Hanse, Catalina or Hunter.
Old 22-01-2022, 15:36   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Probably two dozen threads on this topic already. Be cautious, some responders know what they’re talking about, but the clueless just gotta say something.
Old 22-01-2022, 16:00   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
This was caused during a hull repair/replacement. Essentially the deck was lifted off the old boat and put on a new hull.
I don't think that I've ever heard of such a grafting of two boats together (as it were)!

And the damage that your deck apparently suffered during the process is mute testimony as to why it is seldom done.

I don't have the knowledge to help solve your problem, but would be very interested in a more complete story of why and how the grafting was accomplished. These details might well help a more skilled sailor give useful advice to you.

Jim

Tags
deck, water