Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 17:03   #46

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft
Re: cracks in keel top in bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Y View Post
I hear you. I've been dazzled by the amazing boats that could be had for cheap since they are ferro, but even the videos of people happily repairing ferros that are marketed as "See how easy this is?" look grisly to me.

In my present boat search, an Aries 32 (analogous to a Westsail 32) came on the market in my region for a very good price. Only when contacted did the owner mention that he'd omitted from the ad the fact that it was a ferro. I find his argument that this decades-old boat would have sunk long ago if it was one of the 'bad' ferros convincing on a logical level. But still... Besides, a concrete WetSnail? You may never sink, but you also won't be moving much.
Rubbish, over the years I’ve owned 14 boats between 30 and 60 ft, my 2 favourite ones were both ferro, and as far as speed goes, have you ever heard of the Aussie built flying footpath, line honours in the Sydney to Hobart. I’ve gone back to small boats now and own a compass h28, if I were to line it up against my old Hartley Tasman 28 ferro, I wouldn’t see which way it went. I’ve always found the only people that run them down have never owned one.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 23:55   #47

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Rubbish, over the years I’ve owned 14 boats between 30 and 60 ft, my 2 favourite ones were both ferro, and as far as speed goes, have you ever heard of the Aussie built flying footpath, line honours in the Sydney to Hobart. I’ve gone back to small boats now and own a compass h28, if I were to line it up against my old Hartley Tasman 28 ferro, I wouldn’t see which way it went. I’ve always found the only people that run them down have never owned one.
And the well built ones neglect beautifully. Don't corrode and never need waxing.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 19:22   #48

Please, just two days for 700lbs?
That is with a jack hammer and the boat on the hard?
Thanks
CaptnBry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, keel