Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 14:16   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Custom Epoxy Gelcoat :)

I have done this before but decided to share it this time; I'm always amazed how everybody thinks that polyester takes UV and epoxy not. It is not that black and white. My polyester gelcoat is completely shot after 19 years tropical sun on it, and I have the Rolls Royce of gel coats so often it'll be worse.

We never put polyester under the sun, we put polyester gelcoat under the sun. That stuff has more than just resin and hardener.

So if we want epoxy we use MarineTex. The small packges are a b^tch to work with as the paste is very tough, the hardener liquid, and the mix still too tough to use a syringe. I'll try to thin that with aceton next time, but sometimes I just make something up myself. There is no data on how well it weathers, it probably won't do well... but I have some spots where it has been for years and it's still good.

Okay, here's the recipe:

- West System 105 resin
- West System 206 slow hardener (this should be the UV resistant hardener that I don't have!!)
- A little cabosil / colloidal silica to make it like a thin ketchup
- A squirt of West System white pigment

First mix resin with hardener, then add pigment (max 5%), then add cabosil. I use a syringe to apply it on small cracks that I firsts grind out. Note: these are mostly under the hatch frames that I am rebedding to with UV protection. But there are lengths that come out from under the flange and get UV. I will paint that area one of these years and just hope it lasts until then.

Here is a picture from a piece that cured inside a syringe and popped out after that (West System syringes don't adhere to thin epoxy)
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 22:53   #2

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425
Re: Custom Epoxy Gelcoat :)

I have booked marked this for future reference. It is definately a FIJI job.

Tags
epoxy, gelcoat