Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2019, 09:26   #1

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Custom Outboard storage bracket

I currently have two heavy duty wooden, then epoxied, then painted, mounting brackets for our 6 and 15 2-strokes. The pressure points have thin stainless to take the outboard screw-downs pressures on both sides.

One of them got a ding which opened the seal, and it's delaminating.

My challenge is that with our arch, and all that we have hung on the stern already, plus the desire to actually be able to use our swim platform we designed, we have limited options for using a standard motor mount/storage bracket.

We used heavy SS wire and a Clamptite tool to mount them; you can see pix of our installation on this page of our gallery: Pictures: Flying Pig Early Refit + Projects/Finishing_Touches-Readying_To_Splash/5-06-Early

I need to replace the damaged one (happens to be the first one in those pix). Commercially available mounts (such as: https://www.simplesystemmarine.com/ and https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-Mount.../dp/B007ISEQEI) don't work for our application.

Does anyone have any other, better, ideas for how to do that? We need to support it via the clamps seen on the arch leg, protected from twisting (modified later from the original top) by binding the bottom on the arch rung, and from falling by the thicker top piece.

Thanks for any (preferably simple!) ideas.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 10:31   #2

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Custom Outboard storage bracket

I too had a need for an odd outboard motor mount. I made mine from 1/8" stainless plate from the junkyard, but the real key was these tubing mounting blocks from a ham radio supply house. https://www.dxengineering.com/search...rder=Ascending I used these resin mounts, but they also have beefier metal ones as well.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 12:07   #3

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Custom Outboard storage bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I too had a need for an odd outboard motor mount. I made mine from 1/8" stainless plate from the junkyard, but the real key was these tubing mounting blocks from a ham radio supply house. https://www.dxengineering.com/search...rder=Ascending I used these resin mounts, but they also have beefier metal ones as well.

Bill
Those are cool standoffs. I have the means to secure it, though. I need the mount itself, as the standard ones won't work for us.

Thanks for the link. They may prove useful elsewhere...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, storage