Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 08:28   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Custom rigging HELP?

I need a short custom cable to reinforce my aft stay below the deck. But I can't seem to find one resource that sells all the components or that can build it for me.

I have ordered a turnbuckle and already have a 3/8" eye bolt. I need a cable to attach this turnbuckle to the bottom of my chainplate. The new cable needs to have a eye on one end and a fork on the other. The cable only needs to be 20" in length.

Does anyone know a source or vendor who can put this together in a timely manner?

If you are interested in why I need this cable, you can see the full explanation in the following thread:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...re-232806.html
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 08:31   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Custom rigging HELP?

You can order the components to build the cable yourself (sta-lock, hi-mod, etc) from several different vendors. I usually order from https://www.riggingandhardware.com/ and assemble myself. Or if desired they can assemble for you.

Also West marine has an online rigging shop, defender may as well.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 08:50   #3

Threaded rod maybe? Chain?
A rigger cant make a cable with fork and eye? what am I missing?
Almost seems like to make 20" you don't need cable at all, how long is the turnbuckle?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 08:54   #4

Boat: Oyster 435

Westmarine rigging shop will do the work for you. Timing depends on the current work load, but I've found them to be responsive. Note that any rigging shop can do the work.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 09:35   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You can order the components to build the cable yourself (sta-lock, hi-mod, etc) from several different vendors. I usually order from https://www.riggingandhardware.com/ and assemble myself. Or if desired they can assemble for you.

Also West marine has an online rigging shop, defender may as well.

+1 for hi-mod fittings and do the job yourself. You'll get what you want and not have to wait for someone to swag it. The cost of the fitting usually is a little higher than a swag fitting, but after you add in the labor for the swag its a wash.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 10:26   #6

Boat: Pearson 424

West marine just did a similar set up for me. Took two weeks and was cheap: $200. I had ordered the same part from Rig-Rite at the beginning of March, 4 months and a couple calls to them with no service.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 10:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift NH View Post
West marine just did a similar set up for me. Took two weeks and was cheap: $200. I had ordered the same part from Rig-Rite at the beginning of March, 4 months and a couple calls to them with no service.

Ugghggg. Rig-rite is only useful for old stock extrusions or other hard to find stuff. Even when you call with the exact part number they’re awful to pull a price out of.
Old 19-06-2020, 11:02   #8

Boat: Pearson 424

I agree. Have dealt with them twice now. Unfortunately for me I have a kenyon spar with an in-mast furling system and they are the only outfit that has the parts. I will seek all other options before calling them again.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 11:17   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

That is correct. Rigrite gets bad reviews. Rigging only has good service.https://www.riggingandhardware.com/c...g-rigging.aspx
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 23:40   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

This sounds like a perfect place to use Dyneema instead of wire. Then you can simply put the very simple eye splices in yourself. There will be some initial construction stretch, but in a short length like this, it will be within the rigging screw's takeup length.

I reckon this is a no-brainer!

Jim
Old 20-06-2020, 09:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This sounds like a perfect place to use Dyneema instead of wire. Then you can simply put the very simple eye splices in yourself. There will be some initial construction stretch, but in a short length like this, it will be within the rigging screw's takeup length.

I reckon this is a no-brainer!

Jim
I never thought about using rope. I replaced my wire halyards on my Cal 27 with Dyneema a couple of years ago. Thanks
Old 20-06-2020, 09:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Threaded rod maybe? Chain?
A rigger cant make a cable with fork and eye? what am I missing?
Almost seems like to make 20" you don't need cable at all, how long is the turnbuckle?
The turnbuckle is only 12". I need around 34". But I was considering a threaded rod with an eye as one option. So, that would require a rod around 27" or so.
Old 20-06-2020, 11:38   #13

I just ordered eyes and forks from Rigging.com. They saved me about $60. Once the turnbuckles arrive I'll get the wire from my local West Marine.

The stay support will be inside the cabin. I've read about many people using galvanized wire over stainless. Anyone have an opinion about which one I should use in this application? The wire should be sheltered from any weather or water exposure except humidity. I've attached a mockup of what it will look like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud-support.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	217765  
Old 20-06-2020, 11:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
The turnbuckle is only 12". I need around 34". But I was considering a threaded rod with an eye as one option. So, that would require a rod around 27" or so.
Duh. My math has suffered in quarantine. The rod would be 19" or so. Obviously, the turnbuckle extends to a max length of about 17".
Old 20-06-2020, 11:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I just ordered eyes and forks from Rigging.com. They saved me about $60. Once the turnbuckles arrive I'll get the wire from my local West Marine.

The stay support will be inside the cabin. I've read about many people using galvanized wire over stainless. Anyone have an opinion about which one I should use in this application? The wire should be sheltered from any weather or water exposure except humidity. I've attached a mockup of what it will look like

If you’ve already purchased mechanical terminations, you’d be safest to use the type of wire they were designed for. Normally 1x19 304/316 SS.

Tags
rigging