Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2022, 16:13   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Custom Water Tank Recommendations

Anyone have any recommendations on a solution to my water tank?

The original water tank in my steel boat was a compartment in the middle of the keel, but I am extremely hesitant to put my potable water directly into this compartment anymore given the state it was/is in and the pain it will likely be to reseal the lid to it (aluminum plate with gasket and screws, holes no longer threaded). That being said, if anyone has recommendations on potable-water-safe paints to go on top of the epoxy primer (Amercoat 235) that's currently in there, I'd potentially consider it.

I tried the flexible bag solution, but none of the ones I found are designed to sit vertically (it's a small but deep compartment). The only one I could find that had the fittings in the right place was designed to sit underneath a v-berth, but when vertical it pinched the output hose and burned out the pump within a few weeks. I'd also reconsider the flexible bag solution if anyone knows of a company that makes one that is designed to sit vertically.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards a custom rigid plastic tank that I would drop into the compartment and surround with insulation/padding so it wouldn't chafe. The rigid tank would have to be shippable to Virginia, or within a semi-reasonable driving distance for pickup. Any recommendations on specific companies?

(I've also attached a picture of the compartment for reference- I know there's paint chipping on the bottom and rust stains, it's on the (lengthy) to-do list. Input hose is the clear reinforced one, output would link up to the steel pipe fragment on the other side)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4338.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	260696  
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 17:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Custom Water Tank Recommendations

Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks would be your best source for a rotomolded plastic water or waste tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled (50% thicker than most other mfrs) water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings--including diptubes--in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. There are retailers who sell Ronco tanks, but Ronco sells direct for a much lower price...and they're great to work with.

When looking at drawings it's important to know that there is no top or bottom until the fittings go in, and YOU decide where they go. So rotate, flip in any orientation to find the tank that fits your space.

In the unlikely event Ronco doesn't have the size and shape you need--that you need a custom tank, Triple M Plastics in Maine Triple M Plastic Products Inc does excellent work. I know of many boat owners who've bought custom tanks from them, 100% of whom have had only good things to say. Send 'em a drawing for a quote.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 02:21   #3

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

If you are still working on a solution to this problem...
My 12m steel Joshua class ketch, built 1973 in the Meta yard in France, had no original built-in fuel or water tanks. The tanks we had were custom made from fibreglass/epoxy to fit the spaces they were installed in. They had baffles and removable tops (bolted on and sealed with a neoprene gasket). We painted the inside of the water tank with 2-part polyurethane after letting the epoxy cure for several weeks and washing the tank out several times. The tanks were strong, never leaked AND could be removed to get at the steel under and around them. This is important on a steel boat as you know by now. We did all the layup ourselves. In your case, you could make a ply box with outside dimensions a bit smaller than you keel cavity, and use that as a female mould for laying up your tank. The ply would be painted and have a mould release agent. When done, you just strip the ply off. Anyway, it could be cheaper than having a roto-moulded tank made
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 04:57   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I made up my own tanks to fit within the keel. They are coated with a water based bitumen which is suitable for potable water.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/440710...7631756633356/
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 23:30   #5

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

coopec43: nice job on the tanks!
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, water