Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 19:00   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Cutlass Bearing?

Since I've owned my boat, I check the Cutlass Bearing each time I pull her out of the water. Reading Nigel Calder as well as Beth Leonard(and others), they say to grasp the prop and try and move it side to side. If any kind of movement, it's time to replace the bearing. I just got pulled and did the bearing test and found next to no movement from side to side. One of the yard men grabbed the prop and moved it up and down and it did move a good bit. They claim the cutlass bearing is bad and needs replacing.
I've taken off the Max Prop(scared the heck out of me doing it) and looking at the shaft and bearing, there is room above the shaft. While running the engine, I don't feel any kind of vibration but under sail, if running downwind, there is from time to time a vibration in the stern(maybe prop, maybe something else.
This forum has saved my butt numerous times from crooked yards. Are they telling the truth or is moving the prop and shaft from side to side with no movement telling me the bearing is alright? They now want me to take out the prop shaft(tomorrow) but until I get info from the group, I a bit hesitant.
Good or bad bearing? That is the question!
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 19:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Cutlass Bearing?

It’s on the hard with the prop off? Yeah I’d change it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 20:11   #3

If the shaft can be moved in ANY direction, side to side, up and down or diagonally, then the cutlass bearing is worn and should be replaced.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 20:20   #4

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Absolutely concur, any movement and I would replace it, especially if the prop is off and access is good, do it now before you have to do it later.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 20:49   #5

Boat: Westsail 32

It's spelled cutless bearing because it has grooves on the inside where water flows through and washes out the sand and particles that would cut the bearing.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 22:42   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
Absolutely concur, any movement and I would replace it, especially if the prop is off and access is good, do it now before you have to do it later.
+1 I would also take a look at the alignment after the new install, the vertical movement is IMHO a little suss.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:50   #7

Boat: 45ft Ketch

We had no side to side but some vertical movement just like yours so I bought a new bearing. Then the boat-builder-inspector who had to approve our boat for our Tasman crossing said "looks Ok to me, I prefer it not to be too tight."
I don't think he would have said this for a skinny shaft but he was happy it wasn't going to overheat. It did leak a little because I didn't keep up with the greasing, but really no problem.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote