Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2016, 08:49   #16

Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

So your boat becomes a bit wobbly and maybe get a few cracks in the hull. Big deal. Go for it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 09:09   #17

Boat: ODAY 28

agree, would not install in the blukhead, swing out op. looks like the best
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 09:33   #18

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

Our plotter (in my previous photo) is a RL80C pathfinder series, over 12 lbs. The swing arm bracket seems to work for us so far.
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 10:13   #19
smo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
+1, that's a huge hole in the bulkhead!!

I'd go for a ram mount inside the companionway to swing it out when needed and away inside when not. This also prevents you from constantly unplugging and plugging in the connections to use it.
When you are measuring for an arm mount look at the way it sets on it's inside position too. As you want a spot where you can study it down below too. Then look at making a seahood for it to cut the sun glare when outdoors
smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 11:08   #20

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Before going any further you must abandon the idea of installing it in such a dreadfully user-unfriendly location that you would need to kneel in the cockpit to use it.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 11:33   #21

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

You have all confirmed my concerns about cutting into the Cabin with that size opening, and with the small amount of structural support at the upper Starboard side. I think we want something more flexible under the dodger or a swing out into the companionway.

A. Under Dodger Starboard side.
Possibly with this bracket and arm:
Navislide Adjustible Flat Mount

When not in use, it would be stored below on the vertical bulkhead with a second Flat mount bracket, turned 90 degrees. See photos attached.

B. Under the Dodger Mounted on the Companionway Sliding Hatch as a pipe slide so it can be moved to Port or Starboard. Navislide sliding bar. Sliding Hatch would be pulled forward when the Chartplotter was being used, then pushed back to go below. Chartplotter would be moved below onto the Flat Mount bracket turned 90 degrees when not in use, like the choice above.

C. Swing Arm into the Companionway from the Starboard side.
RAM Swing Arm with Open Single Socket for 2.25" Diameter Ball Bases and Vertical Mounting Base - See more at: RAM Swing Arm with Open Single Socket for 2.25" Diameter Ball Bases and Vertical Mounting Base - RAM-D-162V-MC3 | RAM Mounts
RAM Swing Arm with Open Single Socket for 2.25" Diameter Ball Bases and Vertical Mounting $208

Then add components as needed, such as
RAM 2.25" Double Ball Adapter $48
RAM Swing Arm with Open Single Socket for 2.25" Diameter Ball Bases and Vertical Mounting Base - See more at: RAM Swing Arm with Open Single Socket for 2.25" Diameter Ball Bases and Vertical Mounting Base - RAM-D-162V-MC3 | RAM Mounts
Ball to Ball about 2.5"-3"

RAM Long Length Double Socket Arm with Jam Nut for 2.25" Balls $90
Socket to Socket length 11.1"

RAM 3" x 11" Rectangle Base with 2.25" Ball $43
Mount Zeus T12 U bracket on this.

Which adds up to about $389 which is a lot.
Are there any other suggestions or good manufacturers?

With an alternative Starting bracket

RAM RATCHET ARM W/ 2 1/4" BALL $294.49
Length: Unknown

RAM Standard Length Double Socket Arm for 2.25" Balls $49
Socket to socket 6.5"

RAM 3" x 11" Rectangle Base with 2.25" Ball $43
Mount Zeus T12 U bracket on this.

Total $387 Not much difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustable-Flat-Mount3.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	117413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tube Mount.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	117415  

Name:	RAM-D-162V-MC3.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	117416   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM-D-230U.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	117417  

Name:	RAM-D-201U-E-MI1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	117418   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM-D-111BU.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	117419  

Name:	RAM-D-162V-MC4.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	117420   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM-D-201U.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	117424  

Attached Images

rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 11:46   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Irregardless of strength issues, electronics change daily but it is still the same old boat. Holes for old broken electronics reduce the value of the boat. When it comes time to sell, and you will, that big hole is going to be a negative.

Mounted my plotter on a double jointed ram mount in the companionway. Easier to read there in the bit of shade and swings back so it can be viewed when I'm below. Nice on long passages when you spend a bit of time in the cabin.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 12:40   #23

Boat: Cal 2-27

Before installing our chartplotter, I looked at my options. For a brief moment, I too considered installing in the cockpit bulkhead. That option made my spidey senses tingle. In the end, I opted for the Ram swing arm mount. When in use, the plotter is swung into the companionway. When not in use, the plotter is nicely out of the way. Whichever way you decide to go will be the right call for you.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 12:54   #24

Here is another alternative, that is less $
Requires relocating the Zeus T12 from under Dodger to Bulkhead below when not in use:

Get two mounting knobs one for the bulkhead below and one for under the Dodger.
(2) RAM 3.68" Diameter Round Base with 2.25" Ball $28 x 2 = $56

(1) RAM Short Length Double Socket Arm for 2.25" Balls $44
The RAM-D-201U-C, short length 3.2" socket to socket

(1) RAM 3" x 11" Rectangle Base with 2.25" Ball $43
RAM 3" x 11" Rectangle Base with 2.25" Ball Unpackaged - RAM-D-111BU | RAM Mounts

Total: $143

====

A slightly more expensive version with the long arm and a ball that would mount on our 1" Dodger frame so we don't have to drill holes in the exterior cabin top:

Vertical Bulkhead mounting ball
(1) RAM 3.68" Diameter Round Base with 2.25" Ball $28

Dodger frame mounting ball
(1) RAM Double U-Bolt Base w 2.25" Ball for Tubes 0.75" -1.25" diameter $39 (They also have one for larger dia tubes)

Long Arm
(1) RAM Long Length Double Socket Arm with Jam Nut for 2.25" Balls $90
Socket to Socket length 11.1"

Base
(1) RAM 3" x 11" Rectangle Base with 2.25" Ball $43
RAM 3" x 11" Rectangle Base with 2.25" Ball Unpackaged - RAM-D-111BU | RAM Mounts

Total: $200
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RAM-D-202U.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	117453   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM-D-201U-C.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	117454  

Name:	RAM-D-111BU.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	117455   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM-D-235U.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	117459  

Name:	RAM-D-201U-E-MI1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	117461  
Old 24-01-2016, 13:12   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

My 2 cents: DON'T do that. First off, you have such a large hole that you are beginning to verge on structural issues. Secondly, that device will be replaced at some point. Thirdly, you probably will have a hard time seeing it in bright daylight. MUCH better to have a swing-out unit which keeps it out of the weather. You want to set it up so you can have it in the shadow of the cabin and thus see it in bright conditions. Also, it's really nice to have the unit inside when you have the auto pilot on and are inside during a passage. Finally, a big unit like that sitting outside is an invitation for a thief with a crowbar to steal it.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 13:16   #26

Boat: KP 44

We mounted our Zeus T12 on a swing arm like others have mentioned. Attached are pictures of it inside and out. It really is kind of huge. I previously had a Furuno radar and Standard Horizon 7" plotter on that arm. I think the weight may be a problem but we will see how it goes. If I could find a good way to route the cables(4) I would mount it on the cabin top under the dodger.
Looks like the pictures loaded sideways. Stupid picture uploader.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1031.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	117467   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1032.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	117468  

slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 13:38   #27
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Here is some friendly advise.

1. That is one big beautiful plotter.

IMHO, too big for the boat. As you are finding it is difficult to find a suitable mounting location for a plotter that size. For your size of boat I generally recommend a 7", maybe a 9".

All modern plotters have WIFI, so if you are visually impaired, just call it up on a 24" or larger smart TV down below.

But to each their own, this is what you have, and maybe what you want to stay with.

2. Companionway bulkhead mounting. I get paid a lot of money every year to fill old instrument holes in bulkheads and cockpit coamings.

Wrecks the best seat in the house. Difficult to reach from behind the wheel. Someone is always sitting in front of it. Difficult to repair if your not a glass man.

3. Swing arm in companionway. Not the best solution. During rough weather, when you may need your plotter most, you should have you hatchboards in. where you can't see it. In good weather, the thing is always in the way for going through the companionway. Constant working on instrument connections is not good for them.

4. Mount in hatchboard. Better IMHO than swing arm. Need a bracket to hold hatchboard on back of companionway for gertting through so wires don't have to be connected/disconnected all the time. Out of reach from behind wheel.

5. On deck bracket under dodger. Forward visual block, especially a plotter that size. Out of reach from behind wheel.

6. Suspended under dodger. Good if centreline where you won't ding your head on it. Reachable from behind wheel. Can't take dodger down (really bad weather) without losing plotter.

7. On coaming near helm. Reachable on one tack, not so much on the other. Course orientation doesn't match boat course. (Throws some people off.) Risk of getting kicked.

8. On poop deck or pushpit behind helm. Twisting around to operate is a pain and possibly dangerous. Some can't convert the opposite orientation to course orientation easily.

9. In helm pod right in front of you. Best solution for most people. Easy to access. Course orientation perfect. Easily changed without wrecking boat.

I've installed a lot of instruments and have consulted a lot of people trying to avoid cost of a quality helm pod. Everyone I've convinced to go that way are happy they listened. Some of those who haven't, have been right $#^%$^ with themselves afterward, and some even $%$% with me for not pushing them even harder in the helm pod direction. ;-)

Full Disclosure: I sell and install marine electronics. This post is intended to offer free advice and not to solicit business.

Ramblin Rod
Marine Service Provider
Raymarine Dealer
Certified Raymarine Installer
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 13:40   #28

Another Possibility Vertical Swing Arm Mount - Swing Arm with Ball Mount - RAM Mount Unpackaged - RAM-109V-1BU | RAM Mounts
Vertical Swing Arm Mount - Swing Arm with Ball Mount - RAM Mount

$126.99

Old 24-01-2016, 13:48   #29

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

In addition to a hole that might compromise the strength of the bulkhead, you'll be losing a nice spot to sit and lean back in the cockpit.

I vote for the RAM mount.

I used a RAM mount for my GPS. It was mounted just inside the hatch, and could swing out into the cockpit for use. It worked great. In addition, it provided good security when not in use, as it was hidden away below. Also, I often left it on while at anchor, and all night, so that I could see our position without getting out of my bunk. Very comforting, especially in bad weather.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 14:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Sandero, that is encouraging.
Did you make your own bracket for the winch? (we don't have a winch.)
What kind of bracket do you use down below to store it?
Where are all the cables running to?
Do you disconnect the cables each time?
Is cable management a problem? Keeping them in place etc.

How do you like the T7 operation?
Sailsteer?
We will have a broadband radar attached too.
We have Seatalk tridata wind, speedo, converted to Nmea 0183.
Will need to get that into Nmea2000.

Thanks
I used the standard B&G bracket and bought a 6" square alum rod... 5/8" I think... whatever fits in a winch. I don't use it below... I store it... I have a Ray c80 mfd which is what is repeating in the cockpit.

I haven't connected any data inputs....yet. The T7 is really not for nav...but for allowing me to see a decent chart... I program a waypoint to the c80 which is what I use to steer to for example... numbers as it were.

I could get transducers and use a N2K network. The power is from a waterproof 12v blue seas cig style plug.

It's easy to see from where I normally sit...above the AP controls on the port forward end of the cockpit... comfy to fiddle with the t7 too. As you can see it's a super location... protected and I can swing it around if I sit in the companionway when it's raining! Or when I want to press the repeater buttons to see other functions.

It works for me. I may upgrade to N2K and replace the c80 with a B&G mfd and new radar.

I don't use any of the feature of the T7 which are impressive... yet.. right now it's a readable easy to move around plotter... built in antenna and just a power cord. I could set it up on any boat with a winch and a 12v socket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000036.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	117478  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, chartplotter, head