Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:18   #1

Boat: 38' Chieftain Centre Cockpit
Cutting Door in Bulkhead

I had a thought today while working on the boat, in the picture below (hope I do this right, never added a pic before) is my interior the 2 doors to the left of the companionway hide the vanity and head and entry to aft cabin, the blue mat is where you stand when the 2 doors are opened to have a shower, plenty of room, as you can see to the right where the gas hot water is there is no door, behind that is a void about 3/4 the size of the shower area (about 1 & 1/2 the width of the 2 doors) access to this area is over the motor (behind companionway stairs) and squeeze past the fuel tank.

is it possible to cut a door or most likely just an opening the size of a door, will have to move fridge/freezer so i can access that area putting more storage space as shown in photo below

the problem I am most worried about is structural, as long as the opening stays like the other there must be strength above and below, any thoughts would be a great help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saloon looking aft.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	8449   Click image for larger version

Name:	07' hunter 49' - Copy.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	8451  

ozmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I wouldn’t expect any structural problems - Provided the bulkhead is a monolithic material such as plywood, and sufficient material is left around the entire perimeter of the new framed opening , and with undisturbed tabbing to the hull and deck (above, below & beside new opening).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:05   #3

Boat: 38' Chieftain Centre Cockpit
Thanks GordMay, yes it is made of plywood, as you can see behind the gas water heater the fibreglass moulded hoodlining comes part way down the wall, the red is just Laminate as a splashback
ozmike is offline   Reply With Quote