Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2018, 07:03   #1

Cutting out a Transom door

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	161855
Getting my courage up to cut out a Transom door on the Schucker 436 Motor sailor
Any last minute words-of wisdom?
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Cutting out a Transom door

What is on the other side? hopefully a swim platform, if so what are you waiting for?

If it's GRP an angle grinder and a steady hand plus guide will give a nice straight edge.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:24   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Some designs use the transom to stiffen the whole stern portion of the hull... dunno about this one, but something that you should take into consideration before you take sawzall in hand!

Jim
Old 09-01-2018, 13:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cutting out a Transom door

Jim beat me to it, many boats it’s a major structural member. Those boats it’s usually obvious, as the transom is very thick and very robust.
I’d contact the manufacturer if possible, or hire a Naval Architect to tell me before I cut.
It may be like a load bearing wall in a house is what I’m saying.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:51   #5

Boat: Cal 31 sloop

I can not imagine a boat with a full transom not being designed to use it's strength fully as a structural member! Unless you are an engineer or naval architect, and do the math first, I would not cut anything. You may have to build a reinforcing U shaped stainless or fiberglass reinforcement to replace the cut out transom. I would think boxing in the double wall transmon and adding to the floor of the cockpit to make create a U shaped reinforcement beam or tube is what will be required. You may cut it out and not notice any problems at first, but over time you will almost for sure. Good Luck.
thudbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:00   #6

Just be sure to develop a reinforcement scheme to add to the inside. I'm thinking a structural beam of sorts maybe even epoxied laminated of heavy plywood to a shape allowing the transom door ans spreading athwartships and glassed to the hull/stern.
So figure this first, you may want the bottom of the cutout to be rounded or angled to allow this beam to work properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transom.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	161937  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:35   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Along with the concerns of the transom being structural, what about the rigidity of the pieces of the remaining transom vertically?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:59   #8

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Guys, take a look at the rig on the Schucker 436. The backstay doesn't go to the transom, but to the cabin top. Cutting the transom should cause no issues... I've seen it done on one before.

Matt

Edit: I see people aren't talking about rigging loads, but instead about transom stiffness. Again, I've seen one that did just that when they took the mast out to turn it into a motor boat. I still think you're fine.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:28   #9

make sure the door opens inward
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:36   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As Cheechako said. In the least, measure across the transom and mark two points, maybe an exact 36" apart. Make sure they stay that distance when the job is done. You might want to consider added some heavy reinforcement around the "door" area inside, if you have access, or perhaps running heavy strap bands around the aft end of the cockpit to give the hull some extra support while you're working, so it can't spread. Some hulls will spread simply when hauled, with no surrounding water to compress them. So, make sure you can compare "before and after" to know you've got it back to shape.
Personally I'd feel more comfortable adding interior beams to that transom, to make Real Damn Sure there would be no loss of strength, no spread.

And if you used a hand saw, instead of a grinder, that would cut the inside and outside at the same time, so they're a closer match. (Unless you're good with that grinder.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 14:43   #11

Boat: Spacesailer 24

Thats an excellent way to reduce the value of your boat. Sensible buyers will walk away from a "customised" boat. Might also screw your insurance. Think again!
Kudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 15:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

The schucker transom skins (inside and out are pretty thin, maybe 3/16 - 1/4, unlike i/o boats). It ain't rocket surgery, I've done it on other models. Just reinforce where required. If done well it will likely be stronger than original. I prefer a jig saw. It added if not value then certainly sale-ability to the boats I've done. Who the hell wants to crawl over 3' gunnels to get into a boat ?
Old 10-01-2018, 16:14   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
make sure the door opens inward
That would make it real handy in the event of copping a swell or wave from astern.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 16:57   #14

I too dont think you need to over think it. But reinforcing is good, boats flex a lot and cracking may occur over time. Try flexing a rectangular shallow cardboard box. Then cut the small ends out of it and see how much easier it is!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 15:05   #15

Well, I convened a panel of Marine Architects. Half said, “Don’t do it, the boat will disintegrate and all aboard will be doomed. The remaining members were all drunkerds and said. “”Party on”Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0242.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	162331
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote