Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 21:11   #16

Re: Dark patches on teak. Cleaning teak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Forget the deck destroying two step products.

This https://www.teakdecking.com/eco-100-...leaner-powder/

With a white 3M scrub pad across the grain
What is the active ingredient in this product.?? I can’t find this info anywhere on their website or product info. Just a bunch of advertising bumf about how environmentally friendly it is. Boracal tells you up front it’s active ingredient is Boric acid. I have a Boatlife product that says it contains Oxalic acid. Teak Cleaning says their product contains “no acids”. So what does it use?? If is not an acid or chlorine bleach, then perhaps an oxygen bleach, Oxydol detergent?? Anybody know for sure??
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 21:56   #17
cruiser

Cheap powdered laundry detergent, fresh or salt water along with one of the black scotch Brite scrubbing pads done WITH the grain will remove the light coat of mold, algae and dirt leaving the wood alone. Then follow up with the Star Brite deck cleaning solution, Star Brite teak brightener then two coats of Star Brite clear sealer.

Your teak will then look like new and be protected for a year. Its like magic. For years I let the teak go grey, but I’ve decided that it does need the cleaning and protection to last. The process I described will not hurt or rub off any of the wood, but will instead protect it from the fresh water making the outer layers go soft then flaking off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD82C6F6-B847-4111-9EBF-833C14C159A1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	196438   Click image for larger version

Name:	F533A487-11FB-467C-8E68-AFCCB214C02E.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	196439  

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 23:49   #18

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Forget the deck destroying two step products.

This https://www.teakdecking.com/eco-100-...leaner-powder/

With a white 3M scrub pad across the grain

Why do you suggest that the two part cleaners destroy decks? I have not experienced that with Te-Ka. Are you talking about all two part cleaners or just specific ones?
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 06:33   #19

Boat: 1972 Formosa 41, 41od 48 oa

I use oxalic acid mixed in warm water to clean old weathered teak remove stains and bring color back out, it is not a strong acid and what many comercial teak cleaners use also good for many other cleaning projects like rust stains. I got turned on to it doing leather work using it to clean leather. It can be bought by itself in powder form much cheaper than buying pre made cleaners.I just bought a 2 lb. bag on ebay for 15 dollars, 2# will last a long time and make many gallons of cleaner. I also reciently switched from using teak oil to the Cabot Australian timber oil (Honey Teak) it's still an expirament but so far working quite well, looks nice and last a long time. I did my deck about 3 months ago and still looks like it was just oiled even with the blazing sun and heat here in S.E. Texas
capt.rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, teak