Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 13:29   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 31 Ketch
Re: Deadlight and Interior Paneling Options

Figured I would give you guys an update on this project. After a few weeks of deliberating with fellow sailors here at my marina, we decided to use 1/2" clearacrylic for the windows, bed them with butyl tape and seal with 4200 UV.

I traced the panels using the remaining tempered windows as a template and cut the panels using a jog-saw on a SLOW setting. I found that when I went too fast, the blade would heat up, it would reseal behind the fresh cut. Since I used the original windows as a template, they fit perfectly.

I did one window as a trial run using butyl tape around the edges of the acrylic and then gave it a nice seal with the 4200. Unfortunately, the 4200 does not set well against a smooth acrylic surface so the first window did not set properly. I then took some 80 grit sandpaper and scuffed the trim and edges all around the acrylic. This gave the 4200 something that it could adhere to.

I set all of the windows using this method and I am happy to say that after several torrential downpours the windows remain water tight.The 4200 also provided a very strong bond with the scuffed acrylic to the point where was able to wrap my foot in a towel and kick the large window from the outside as hard as I could. It did not budge at all. Here are a few pics of the finished project. I do still have to trim the excess 4200 from the edges.

liquidkangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior