Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2023, 14:26   #1

Boat: Nor'West 33
Deck hardware, possibly sealed with 5200

I launched into the job of re-bedding my deck hardware. I have a few very minor leaks, and since I don’t know the exact source, I was just going to pull and re-bed everything with bed it tape.

However, I just unbolted one of the cabin top winches, and it is sealed with an adhesive sealant, quite possibly 5200 since I can’t get it to budge, and I’m concerned about damaging the winch or the cabin top.

I’ve encountered 5200 in one other spot on this boat and am dismayed to think that I am probably going to see more of it or some other strong adhesive sealant. For places that I am fairly sure are still well sealed would, putting a small bead of 4000 UV Around the edge after a thorough cleaning be a good compromise if I don’t want to start tearing my entire top side apart? Thanks
shrspeedblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 15:01   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Deck hardware, possibly sealed with 5200

Fwiw, old 5200 gets slightly pinkish in color. If what you have is just about icebox white, it is NOT 5200.

You can try that exterior sealing approach. We did that once, on a previous boat, on the hull to deck joint, which had been done with 5200. It did okay for a while. Not a permanent fix, but we REALLY didn't want to take the deck off!

Ann
Old 08-07-2023, 15:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Fwiw, old 5200 gets slightly pinkish in color. If what you have is just about icebox white, it is NOT 5200.

You can try that exterior sealing approach. We did that once, on a previous boat, on the hull to deck joint, which had been done with 5200. It did okay for a while. Not a permanent fix, but we REALLY didn't want to take the deck off!

Ann
I hear ya! I just don’t want to create a situation where the cure ends up being far worse than the disease.

I neglected to mention that I will reseal the bolts with bed it tape per the instructions on the Marine how to website.
shrspeedblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 15:26   #4

Boat: Sabre 34

Oh boy, you have got quite a predicament in front of you.

I don’t have any experience with on-deck fittings sealed with 5200 but when I replaced my thruhulls a few years ago I learned that mechanical advantage works. If you can get a hacksaw with fine teeth under the winch you can try cutting the sealant from all around and then wiggle the winch every now and then, do not use a power tool, do it by hand and go slow, you will know when you are making progress. Do not force the winch until you wiggle it loose or you will have a winch base sized hole in your deck.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 15:40   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

One trick that sometimes works is to take a length of a "wound" guitar string and put a handle on each end, (piece of dowel rod or whatever).
Then you saw it back and forth to cut the sealant.
If you go the hacksaw blade route, be careful, the set of the teeth are in a "wave" pattern and can scar the gel coat quite easily, try to keep the blade tilted up against the hardware.
When you re-mount winches make sure the bases can drain.
Old 08-07-2023, 15:44   #6

Boat: Tashiba 40

Marine Formula from DeBond will break down 5200. Sharpen the edge of a flexible putty knife and round the corners off. Spray where the hardware attaches to the deck, wait a while, work the knife under, and repeat. If you're patient, you won't damage the gelcoat.
Weatherbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 17:15   #7

Boat: Sabre 34

I like Bowdrie’s idea of using a guitar string, it will be cleaner with less risk of causing damage, I didn’t care as I was working on the underwater area.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 17:26   #8

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

I've removed a lot of hardware bedded with 5200. It's easily and safely cut with the sharp edged scraper blade that comes with the Fein Multimaster tool. Use something to pry the hardware up slightly, then slide the blade in. Piece of cake. Unless it's got a really large footprint. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230708-202515.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	277886
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 17:44   #9
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
I've removed a lot of hardware bedded with 5200. It's easily and safely cut with the sharp edged scraper blade that comes with the Fein Multimaster tool. Use something to pry the hardware up slightly, then slide the blade in. Piece of cake. Unless it's got a really large footprint. Attachment 277886
I concur, done it many times as well: Put tension on the hardware with a wedge, then use a sharp blade to cut the adhesive.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
One trick that sometimes works is to take a length of a "wound" guitar string and put a handle on each end, (piece of dowel rod or whatever).
Then you saw it back and forth to cut the sealant.
If you go the hacksaw blade route, be careful, the set of the teeth are in a "wave" pattern and can scar the gel coat quite easily, try to keep the blade tilted up against the hardware.
When you re-mount winches make sure the bases can drain.
Interesting suggestion, and probably less likely to tear up the cabin top, too. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2023, 12:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherbird View Post
Marine Formula from DeBond will break down 5200. Sharpen the edge of a flexible putty knife and round the corners off. Spray where the hardware attaches to the deck, wait a while, work the knife under, and repeat. If you're patient, you won't damage the gelcoat.
Definitely the best way to go with little risk of damage. It will also help in cleanup which cutting does not do.
Senojev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 13:54   #12

Boat: Columbia 50

I’ve used a heated up putty knife to remove hw - get the edge red hot, plung into the bond, repeat.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 14:42   #13

If it IS 5200, get a flexible sharp knife and cut the sealant gradually by forcing the blade under the winch base. Or a little heat helps debond 5200 very well.
But, if it IS 5200... are you sure it's leaking?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hardware