Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2022, 05:00   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Deck Hatches - another installment in the “back to the drawing board” series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I wish you knew the exact situation, because your post really made me laugh actually. Lol. Laughing with you in this case of course. At a comical situation about the compartment size

Gaining some room inside the compartment is definitely not a priority.

Currently, the compartment is Somewhere between 7 and 8 feet deep. Ha ha ha.

Eventually, I need to make it less deep so that you can actually get in there and do things. Currently, it’s quite a drop to the bottom.

But in reality, I think I just need to go the easy way with this and have the lip. Just so much more simple. The system that’s in there now can act as a back up.

Yeah, that doesn't need more size. I was picturing something a few feet deep, but not quite that much. Sounds like it needs a ladder and maybe some shelves...
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 14:07   #17

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: Deck Hatches - another installment in the “back to the drawing board” series

I would taper the edges of the hatch and deck 45 degrees or more and place a soft gasket between them. Route out the core to add 'bog'/thickened resin. You may be able to make a channel for a gasket, though maybe not needed. The gutter should also have a gasket on contact with the hatch. Honestly, if the tapered gasket is done properly, no gutter and drain would be needed. You of course need a way to dog down the hatch tight to compress the seal.

Disclaimer. I have not built this.. nor did I read all the previous posts. Just my idea of how I'd go about it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flush Deck Hatch.png
Views:	45
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	255522  
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 14:27   #18

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Why not use fishing boat flush aluminum hatches. We know they weigh a lot but it will get you sailing and then you can always sell them easily when you swop them out with whatever you decide is best.
Always a great market for them.
I’ve seen some hatches from India ship wrecking yards but it might take too much time to ship.
Try the north west coast fishing supply houses.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hatch, men