Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 03:32   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Deck Hull Joint, What Is This?

Nonsuch 26 Specs ➥ http://www.nonsuch.org/assets/docs/ns26insert.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:07   #32

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Nobody else has tackled this so I'll say it.

Mold can kill you. It's bad enough on most boats, due to the nature of the beast; if you have active leaks which generate (or that's your presumption, from what I read) massive mold growth, fixing them is a big deal to your and any others' health.

I like drilling out and gooping the offender; if it were a bolt, it would be a bit more challenging. But 5200 is more glue than caulk; it's overkill to the job, methinks, and will just make your life more miserable should you have to pull it all up and go at it from the top. If 3M still made 101 I'd use it; their new stuff in the 4000 series (I forget whether 4000 or 4200 off the top of my head), while claiming UV, sucks in the open air; I'll have to redo my toerail after 3 years because it's chalking horribly and in some places pulling out, and in general, if washed, becomes soft and sticky.

But that's not your situation. Any polysulfide caulk should do the job. But get on it, and cure that mold source - then aggressively go after every bit of it in the boat...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:50   #33

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
O'Day, Cals, and Rangers have this situation. Rivets to hold the deck and hull together(maintain shape) before toe rail bolted on. If you do it over, put larger backing plates behind the toe rail nuts to add strength to the joint. Big job. Big expense if you have a yard do the job.
i have a 1971 cal 27. my deck joint looks entirely different than that.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 18:32   #34

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamjunk View Post
A rivet. They would have riveted the deck and hull together and then drilled all the holes for the bolts, makes sense. Should I seal it or remove the toe rail and redo everything? It seems there is a leak every 12" on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Hull joint is riveted and sail track and toenail are bolted in.
My Mariner has this type of joint, you really must remove the toerail and hardware to get to the seam between the deck and Hull joint, better yet glass the seam together after removing the toerail.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 15:00   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Nobody else has tackled this so I'll say it.

But 5200 is more glue than caulk; it's overkill to the job, methinks, and will just make your life more miserable should you have to pull it all up and go at it from the top. If 3M still made 101 I'd use it; their new stuff in the 4000 series (I forget whether 4000 or 4200 off the top of my head), while claiming UV, sucks in the open air; I'll have to redo my toerail after 3 years because it's chalking horribly and in some places pulling out, and in general, if washed, becomes soft and sticky.

But that's not your situation. Any polysulfide caulk should do the job. But get on it, and cure that mold source - then aggressively go after every bit of it in the boat...
You're right about 5200. It also doesn't have sufficient elasticity if used in narrow spaces to always bridge the crack. Consider using a silicone-modified polyurethane instead whenever it's bedding needed rather than glue. Tremco/Sitkaflex to be considered in choice.
Old 07-12-2015, 15:16   #36

A lot of boats used 5200 between the deck and hull at the factory. BTW, does anyone sell Polysulphide anymore?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 15:19   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
A lot of boats used 5200 between the deck and hull at the factory. BTW, does anyone sell Polysulphide anymore?
Are they using it as an adhesive? That could make (some) sense. As bedding, not.
Old 07-12-2015, 15:39   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

5200 is both a sealant and adhesive and as such is ideal for use in a hull to deck joint. The hull to deck joint is exactly what 3M had in mind when they made it.

Cheechako, Life-Caulk is a polysulfide.
Old 07-12-2015, 16:36   #39

Boat: Seafarer36c

If you don't want to spend forever fixing this, get a Sawzall and whack off the toe rail.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hull