Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 21:22   #1

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Deck prisms to fight mildew in anchor locker?

Has anyone tried putting a deck prism over a space prone to mold and mildew to introduce more light and so hopefully cut back on the growth? I am considering options to reduce mold and mildew in an anchor locker that is already well drained but still gets moldy, was even considering a coat of hard bottom paint on the undersides of the anchor locker ceiling, where the mold is worst.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 21:44   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Deck prisms to fight mildew in anchor locker?

We have a low profile vent that one screws closed for passages, and leave open at other times. The vent excludes rain, but allows some air in. You do have to clean out anchor lockers from time to time.

Ann
Old 09-04-2021, 21:51   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I have an exhaust blower in the toilet which exhausts into the anchor locker. I'm am hoping that will blow out any mold spores and keep the locker dry.

Have you looked at other threads on this problem?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ls-236541.html

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ion-36175.html

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...side-hull.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 21:55   #4

Yes I've got ventilation and checked other threads none talk about more light to fight mildew.
Old 09-04-2021, 23:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
Yes I've got ventilation and checked other threads none talk about more light to fight mildew.
https://vegetablegrowersnews.com/new...owdery-mildew/

The short wavelengths of UV light allow for mold to be destroyed as well. UV light has proven to be highly effective at killing mold because the entirety of the environment where the lamp is being used is blanketed by the light, which allows for the whole area to be disinfected.27 Jan 2020

Can UV light kill mildew?
The short wavelengths of UV light allow for mold to be destroyed as well. UV light has proven to be highly effective at killing mold because the entirety of the environment where the lamp is being used is blanketed by the light, which allows for the whole area to be disinfected.27 Jan 2020

Does UV Light Kill Mold? - Sensorex

https://sensorex.com › blog › 2020/01/22 › does-uv-lig...
Old 09-04-2021, 23:17   #6

I'm not installing a UV light as there is plenty in sunlight lol. Mold/mildew requires three things: humidity, darkness, no ventilation. Humidity is inevitable and there's only so much ventilation possible. Has anyone tried more light via a deck prism or similar? I'm also considering slick ptfe coatings
Old 10-04-2021, 00:09   #7

Maybe have a look at this?

https://www.quora.com/Can-UV-and-IR-...-for-the-prism

I wonder how much UV light you'd need? (On my yacht a prism would be out of the question)
Old 10-04-2021, 06:34   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I doubt that very much UV light is going to survive a trip through a deck prism, and it still won't impinge on the upper walls and ceiling of the locker. Flushing the locker with a VERY mild solution of bleach from time to time would I suspect be more effective. Very mild, given that nylon does not resist bleach. You want to kill the mildew, not the rope.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:28   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
I'm not installing a UV light as there is plenty in sunlight lol. Mold/mildew requires three things: humidity, darkness, no ventilation. Humidity is inevitable and there's only so much ventilation possible. Has anyone tried more light via a deck prism or similar? I'm also considering slick ptfe coatings
I can assure you that Florida mold doesn’t require darkness. LOL

I don’t think the deck prism will do it plus it won’t get the UVs to the ceiling.

So, I’d work on the other two things:

Humidity and ventilation. Luckily, they’re both related. Get a true wind blowing through there and keep it dry.

Ann’s approach with a special vent and cowling should do nicely.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:59   #10

Sorry I should clarify that the goal isn't to get sunlight UV to kill all the mold, that would probably be limited in effect through a deck prism (but note that not all uv is blocked by glass and you can get a pretty good sunburn through glass) but seems it would help and whats the downside.? My problem is that I've never seen one in actual practice to see how much light they transmit. Light in general has a reducing effect on mold growth, more light in dark tight musty places on a boat the better, and since any potential leaks from the prism itself would be into the anchor locker rather than cabin interior then the biggest downside to a deck prism isn't as much a concern either, I was thinking . It won't be a total fix but seems to me that this is possibly an actual useful non-decoratuve place for a deck prism light. I assume they also introduce quite a bit if heat and potential hotspots...guess I'll get one to play with and the question "would a deck prism help control mold in an anchor locker" (ventilation etc all being equal) and see what happens. Hey Practical Sailor magazine, here's one for you!
Old 10-04-2021, 08:24   #11

AIR AIR AND AIR
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:34   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Sorry I should clarify that the goal isn't to get sunlight UV to kill all the mold, that would probably be limited in effect through a deck prism (but note that not all uv is blocked by glass and you can get a pretty good sunburn through glass) but seems it would help and whats the downside.? My problem is that I've never seen one in actual practice to see how much light they transmit. Light in general has a reducing effect on mold growth, more light in dark tight musty places on a boat the better, and since any potential leaks from the prism itself would be into the anchor locker rather than cabin interior then the biggest downside to a deck prism isn't as much a concern either, I was thinking . It won't be a total fix but seems to me that this is possibly an actual useful non-decoratuve place for a deck prism light. I assume they also introduce quite a bit if heat and potential hotspots...guess I'll get one to play with and the question "would a deck prism help control mold in an anchor locker" (ventilation etc all being equal) and see what happens. Hey Practical Sailor magazine, here's one for you!
We have four prisms on Wings. They admit an amazing amount of light, seemingly far more than the square inches of glass surface would indicate (but not much heat). There are several other deck hatches which also admit light. All of these are in completely ventilated areas. None of this has stopped the growth of mold; it must be cleaned off periodically, an unpleasant task for sure. There is no easy way out of it.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:48   #13

Boat: Custom built Skookum 53' trawler

IMHO a prism would just induce added heat, a true factor in mold propagation. The uv factor from a deck prism is not going to be sufficient to stop mildew. good positive ventilation is the answer (and as Ann said, a good cleaning a couple of times a year).
MV Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:50   #14

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

We spritz problem areas with tea tree oil once in awhile.
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:37   #15

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Concrobium Mold Control Mold Inhibitor.
Available on Amazon.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchor locker, deck