Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 19:19   #1

decking experiences/alternatives

Hi folks, another thread talked about this kooldeck stuff so I thought to start a new one. I wanted to know if anyone has ever used this. I know there was something used to spray onto truck beds as a liner is it the same stuff? Has anyone have any experience with this?

Also, what have you done to your decks to keep them up. redo them? Paint and sand? Stick on tradmaster? phony teak in sheets? Linoleum, contact paper? (just kidding). We are looking at steel boats (dreaming really at the moment) and have read that the rust streaks on the deck are inevitable, and was hoping to combat that by using some form of overlay bedded in polysulfide or other good quality caulking materail. Basically seal the whole deck with a layer of goo so the water cant get there, and use it to stick on the decking. Can you do this with wood without the fasteners? People say 5200 keeps keels stuck on without keelbolts, couldnt the wood stay without fasteners to the deck?

The other alternative is the treadmaster type decking, but does that yellow with age, or pull up from the deck? How big a sheet can you get? I do not like the dark grey squares that I have seen on some boats, but it seems like a decent product. What do the big yachts that arent teak use? Anyway, any thoughts?
brian and clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 22:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I don't know the product Kooldeck you are asking of, but I do know the truckbed liners very well. I would not use that stuff anywhere near a boat deck. It does not adhere well and is a pain to repair. Although the are spray can repair products available, it is not the same as the real stuff. The product has to be applied by special high pressure application and is applied hot.

The first question is what is the base material. Is it steel or timber or Glass or????
Yes you can stick down timber with a sealant only. One of the main purposes of using the fastners however, is to fix the boards in position till the adhesive has cured.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 23:35   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Are these the liner's you were talking about Alan?

I was going to at least investigate further when I was at that stage, as I have tried just about everythig except this.

Grizzly Grip - Coating for truck bed liners, boats, and more.

Cote-L Distribution Company

Ultra TUFF Marine - Home Page

Dave
Old 11-07-2007, 00:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The one I am most familiar with is Rhino. We started coating commercial speaker cabinets in the stuff. But the end result was that it didn't stand up well to the wear and tear and was damn expensive to apply. The main issue was that it didn't seem to adhere well. Once the surface broke, it would simply peal off. I would be worried about applying it to steel. If it didn't adhere perfectly and water got under it, then I could imagine a lot of hidden damage.
I see the products you have linked to above advertise Marine applications. I wonder if it is the same stuff. I also didn't know it was available in colours.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote