Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 14:20   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: DeFoul Anti Fouling Paint Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
The product was incredibly awesome, although we did have to through our clothes out after the first scraping. It is an environmentally friendly product witch was very important to us, . . .
Excuse me, but you cannot make any such claim to "environmentally friendly" without stating - exactly - what is in the stuff chemically. That is being disingenuous at best, and out-right flim-flam lying at worst. What is in this product that attacks and dissolves/loosens an epoxy based bottom paint?
- - If it is so benign why is the applicator person in full moon-suit and respirator? And the boat is completely "tented" - come on, come clean, what is in the stuff.
- - The requirement to disclose on the product label what is in the "can" is uniquely a USA requirement. Europe and other foreign business can make outrageous claims and never have to disclose what is in the "can." For example, JOTUN bottom paints makes overblown claims about their paint but in order to find out what is in their "can" you need to go to the Hazardous Materials Shipping Documents. Where you find out that JOTUN is ordinary 40% copper bottom paint just like the majority of USA brand bottom paints.
- - And evenly more importantly, what is the price of that 5 gal bucket of the stuff?
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 15:52   #17

Boat: Silverton, 34C' 37loa

Thank-you for your less than courteous reply, all I was speaking was from my personal experience and our own research on the product. Canada also has label requirements as "in that great land of yours". We were in attendance when the product was applied and I assure you that there was no ventilator used. The marina boat yard that we were in is extremely environmentally sensitive, and will be carrying the product as a reseller. Defoul did exactly as it claimed and discussed with the distributor. The residue that we scraped off did make contact with skin and there was no ill effect or skin irritation.
It is great that there are people who have so much experience in boating and people who are new to boating like myself are very willing to learn from them but when we get blasted as in your reply for being "flim flam" it is not much of an encouragement.
Don't bother to reply as I will consider this my last post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Excuse me, but you cannot make any such claim to "environmentally friendly" without stating - exactly - what is in the stuff chemically. That is being disingenuous at best, and out-right flim-flam lying at worst. What is in this product that attacks and dissolves/loosens an epoxy based bottom paint?
- - If it is so benign why is the applicator person in full moon-suit and respirator? And the boat is completely "tented" - come on, come clean, what is in the stuff.
- - The requirement to disclose on the product label what is in the "can" is uniquely a USA requirement. Europe and other foreign business can make outrageous claims and never have to disclose what is in the "can." For example, JOTUN bottom paints makes overblown claims about their paint but in order to find out what is in their "can" you need to go to the Hazardous Materials Shipping Documents. Where you find out that JOTUN is ordinary 40% copper bottom paint just like the majority of USA brand bottom paints.
- - And evenly more importantly, what is the price of that 5 gal bucket of the stuff?
Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 17:39   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Great - you still did not answer the questions - what is in it? What is the chemical that does the softening of the epoxy?
- - Neither you or the manufacturer are revealing what is in the product so there is no way to determine whether this is a valid product or a product legally usable inside the USA.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 01:16   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - The website says you need 5 gal to strip 25 sq ft. That would work out to almost 100 gallons of the stuff to do my boat..
Sound like a very similar product to Internationals Interstrip paint remover, particularly when your read Minarets description.

Having used Interstrip I can confirm that it makes a horrible mess. The product has the consistancy of wall paper paste, if the air temperature is too hot the glue dries too quickly so more has to be applied. Once the top layer of paint has softened it won't wash off despite the claims but needs scraping off. If there are more layers underneath they need a second application. I did it at home on my own driveway. Despite laying down plastic sheeting it still went everwhere and took the whole summer to disappear from the tarmac. The 4 days it took to remove and then paint a 22 foot hull were painful and I think next time I will be painting for soda blasting. So yes these products work but they are not a miracle solution in my opinion.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti fouling, anti-fouling, paint