Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2013, 12:00   #31

Is there a listing for it or photos? I'd love to see it. These boats seem like a great deal if your comfortable with ferrocement. Not fast but apparently quite sea kindly. Congratulations.

What are your plans with it?
Buylow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 12:39   #32

Re: Delamination/Penetrating Expoxy/Purchase dilemma

Look up the leakie teakie club on line. Most of their members are Formosa or CT owners and have been through what your talking about. I followed their forum for a couple of years to learn something about these boats, most are a project but the results can be spectacular!
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 13:22   #33

Boat: Custom, Ingrid ketch/cutter, 39.5 LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buylow12 View Post
Is there a listing for it or photos? I'd love to see it. These boats seem like a great deal if your comfortable with ferrocement. Not fast but apparently quite sea kindly. Congratulations.

What are your plans with it?
She is listed here recently in classifieds section. Just search Ingrid... She is light blue...Andiamo... I don't make solid plans about anything, but I think I'll run her up to Rimouski QC DEP FEB... I may bring her home after that (Grise Fiord, Ellesmere Island) or perhaps some where else.... I am looking more into effect of extreme drying cold on FC?.. We don't use cement at all here, so there must be a reason why... She is one of the better layups in FCC that I have seen....very small amount of weeping inside stem and stern, but veery minor, that kind of weep kills itself via alkalization... But knowing fibreglass turns to paper up here after a few winters on the hard, I am going to assume worse for ferro... Who knows. Might just point and sail instead
ijiraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 13:45   #34

I thought that would be the boat. My wife and I considered making an offer on it. I love the lines. We have pans to go rving around north America starting in about six months and after a year or two sell it and go cruising. When I saw that boat I seriously considered gong straight to the sailing. An rv will be a good cheap way for my wife to get used to long distance travel without the added complexity and maintenance a boat brings.

Let me know how you like her. We'll probably be looking for a ferrocement boat in a couple years. It seems like you basically get the hull for free and everyone seems to concede that if it's done well it comparable to other materials. The prices are so favorable that even if you give the boat away when your done you have done well financially.

That looks like a bitterly cold area but I'm sure it's beautiful. Must be a short season, lol. You might check out ferrocement.Org if you haven't already. Good luck and enjoy. I hope when the time comes I can get something similar.
Old 21-10-2013, 15:19   #35

Yes, and sorry you didn't get it. There are many FC's out there that are horribly maintained, and more that have been built wrong. The biggest 2 problems are people underestimating time needed/manpower for the pour, and inadequate moisture and or cure time. I tell you what though, keep in touch and if I do for some unforeseen reason have to sell her in the future, i'll give you first crack. But if you find another, make sure you can trace it's lineage to when she was laid up; find out how the pour went, what the climate was like at the time, etc.. -that should save you head ache down the road. I would buy one in the US, because (a) they hate them so the boats go for half of what they would anywhere else; (b) the yacht market is record low in the US due to economic climate, you can buy a boat there and double your money overnight bringing it elsewhere to sell... That boat would have cost me $45-85K in Canada, because of her documented lay up, and excellent quality and model. The one ferro I would avoid is Sa.... not that they are not good, but so many have deviated from original plans without thought into structural stresses... If something looks unnatural, stay away....
Old 21-10-2013, 15:22   #36

Ya, we got lucky, and the owner was a great lady to work with! very honest, very revealing, unlike a certain broker I was dealing with that kept trying to sell me his lemons cause him thought I green....
Old 21-10-2013, 16:19   #37

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

So I gotta know - was the thing doused in 5200? Was the owner's dog included because they couldn't get it unstuck? Will you be making a whopper purchase of razor blades and DeBond?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 17:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
So I gotta know - was the thing doused in 5200? Was the owner's dog included because they couldn't get it unstuck? Will you be making a whopper purchase of razor blades and DeBond?

Mark
wow things travel fast here just like the north...
No, No. She got the dawg unstuck.

Give her some credit, she put a lot of work into it to protect everything well. I can do the finishing touches later
Old 22-10-2013, 07:32   #39

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

She has a humorous thread going on 5200.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 10:04   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
She has a humorous thread going on 5200.

Mark
i'll have a gander
Old 25-10-2013, 15:11   #41

Thanks for the info. You certainly seem to be well informed about them. Maybe when your ready to sell I'll be ready to buy.

I have noticed the difference between the prices here and those elsewhere such as Europe, Australia, or New Zealand. They seem only slightly cheaper than a fiberglass boat there. A few were on par or more. Seems like you could do well by buying here sailing elsewhere and then selling when your ready.

I think it is a beautiful boat and I look forward to hearing how the sail back goes. Should be quite an adventure.

Tags
delamination, purchase