Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2014, 22:09   #1

Boat: Hudson 50
Designing a Helm Seat

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some ideas on the design for a helm seat. My boat doesn't have a seat located at the helm so it's mostly a stand up watch at the wheel unless I set the autopilot and sit a few feet away. I'm thinking of installing a small bench that I can sit on or lean against while I'm steering. I've bought a couple of telescoping pipe supports but it's the actual design of the bench that has me thinking. I've seen some designs that are bell shaped- I suppose to provide greater height and visibility. Others are u shaped- I suppose this would be good when the boat heels over. Also what about a small table that swings up or attaches. Has anybody seen any interesting designs. My boat has a lot of teak trim and it a very traditional full keel ketch so I need a design that fits in . It would be great to hear how others have solved the helm seat issue.
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm