Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2022, 14:36   #1

Boat: C&C 30
Determining finish for Lancer C&C 30

Howdy!

I’ve got a new-to-me Lancer C&C 30, ~1977-80-ish.
The wood finish is in mostly good shape, but there are a few spots that are abraded which I’d like to sand and refinish. I don’t want to do it all, though. I’ve poked and searched, but haven’t found a good source for what finish was used on these.

Do you have any suggestions for what I should do if I wanted to sand and refinish only a few elements of the ‘varnish’, or any idea to find out what the original finish was?

Thanks much!
Tooluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 11:58   #2

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Re: Determining finish for Lancer C&C 30

I'm going through this now on my late 80's C&C 30-2, my boat is hauled out for the winter. I brought home all of my cabinet doors and assessed what would be the best way. Sanding and refinishing cabinet doors on a comfortable workbench is great but I'm thinking replicating that with all of the fixed pieces on the boat that it might not be such a good idea. So I cleaned all the surfaces with TSP (trisodium phosphate), then I coated with a light colored maple stain and wiped it off after about 15 minutes. I then gave the doors 3 coats of Interlux Goldspar Satin varnish sanded with 220 grit between each coat. The doors look great and by not sanding I'll be able to repeat the process on board with all of the non-removable woodwork. I do have a few stains on the fixed woodwork that I'm not sure TSP will remove or not.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 12:31   #3

There is a very active C & C owners group. Google is your friend.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 13:09   #4

I misspoke- this not a C & C built boat but a Lancer designed by C & C design group so previous suggestion of C & C owners group info I do not think applies.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 13:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
I misspoke- this not a C & C built boat but a Lancer designed by C & C design group so previous suggestion of C & C owners group info I do not think applies.
The word you’re looking for is ‘apologize’. In your rush to be ‘right’ and righteous, you made a mistake. You also didn’t read that I’d already searched.

I’m not angry; I’ve dealt with the internet for decades and I was an arrogant ass myself once. It’s a lesson each person learns (or doesn’t) on their own time.

But this is a learning opportunity. Is the thrill of being a smart ass on the internet worth being snarky at strangers?
Old 23-11-2022, 13:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumroll30 View Post
I'm going through this now on my late 80's C&C 30-2, my boat is hauled out for the winter. I brought home all of my cabinet doors and assessed what would be the best way. Sanding and refinishing cabinet doors on a comfortable workbench is great but I'm thinking replicating that with all of the fixed pieces on the boat that it might not be such a good idea. So I cleaned all the surfaces with TSP (trisodium phosphate), then I coated with a light colored maple stain and wiped it off after about 15 minutes. I then gave the doors 3 coats of Interlux Goldspar Satin varnish sanded with 220 grit between each coat. The doors look great and by not sanding I'll be able to repeat the process on board with all of the non-removable woodwork. I do have a few stains on the fixed woodwork that I'm not sure TSP will remove or not.
Thanks, this is great advice. I’ll try to find a stain that’ll match, and I’ll see what a TSP or borax clean does. And resist the urge to sand and refinish!

Tags
lancer