Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2018, 07:34   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Diesel Demand Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
Espar is air. Last boat had a Paloma propane demand heater and it was pure luxury. Hot shower anytime. Seeking diesel alternatives has been challenging. In a wet climate, forced air systems are the driest heat, hydronic will make hot water but not dry the boat. Looking for demand hot water for under $1k. Do not wish to replace a functional heating system for big $ just for shower!
Well, you can install one of the 5kW Espar hydronic furnaces for not much more than that, if you do it yourself. A plate type heat exchanger is cheap enough. You can add a radiator or three if you want -- or not. Cheap and easy if you do it yourself.

A friend of mine is set up exactly like this -- boat was originally built with an air heater, and his previous owner added the hydronic just for hot water.

If you're in a cool climate, a radiator or towel rack in the heads is pure luxury -- keeps it dried out, dries out your towels, and can give you warm space for your shower -- if you have room enough in your heads.

Do you have a calorifier, or can you add it? This makes it all somewhat easier, and also gives you the chance to make hot water from your engine. Get a calorifier with dual coils -- one for the Espar and one for the engine.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 08:39   #17

Re: Diesel Demand Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The ITR on-demand diesel heater mentioned above fits in about the space of a hot water tank.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/ZSukFPC6JK8

Hurricane hot water heating, they have number of models
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, water