Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 08:33   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Diesel Fuel Tank

I have a steel fuel tank and have taken it out to clean it, this past summer i had alot of trouble with the pick up tube pugging. After i got the tank out and power washed it I still get alot of flake trash out of it. I tried muriatic acid at 20 to 1 and let sit 3 minutes but that did now work very well, yes it got more junk out but i am thinking i should have let it sit longer or mix stronger. The pickup tube is 1/4" with a very small screen. I am thinking about welding a fitting 1" close to the bottom and put a valve there with a prefilter then break it down after th filter to the 1/4 fuel line. My thinking is the the first filter would get the trash and i could clean it easy.

I would like to know what other people have done to clean tanks?

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 09:02   #2

If it just keeps shedding material in there maybe youd better just replace it...?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 09:54   #3

Boat: Irwin 40
I would replace the tank with a new one. That tank has to be what 30 years old? All that flaking is making the metal thinner so it is only a matter of time before it leaks. Get a new aluminum tank and make sure you install it correctly to minimize corrosion. I am assuming you are using diesel, in that case you could put a pick up tube close to the bottom but not if it is a gasoline tank. Best to leave the pickup at the top for safety. Remove the screen from the bottom of the pickup it will just continue to piss you off. Use a good Racor type primary filter to catch anything before it gets to the engine. If you do install an aluminum tank use only stainless steel fittings on the tank itself.
Good luck
Wayne
Projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 22:45   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Has anyone thought of parkerizing the insides of these steel tanks?

Once the finish is rinsed and dried it is stable and immune to oils and solvents and is a wonderfull anti-corrosion coating.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 02:15   #5

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Plain steel and diesel usually combine rather well as long as the tank is stored topped up with diesel. N Warren recommends sandblasting and painting the inside of such tanks.
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 02:38   #6

How did you get the tank out? I have a OI 33 and My cockpit hatches do not appear large enough to get the tank out. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank