Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 20:34   #1

Boat: Roberts, 36 ft Cutter
Diesel Fuel Tank Inspection Port

Does anyone out there know of an off the shelf add on inspection port for my aluminum fuel tank, or suggested fabrication details for a build your own access port?
Briarpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 20:57   #2

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus
Re: Diesel Fuel Tank Inspection Port

I'm sure there are usable off the shelf options, but on my tank I found the best places for access were oddly shaped and so I made my own. Easy enough to do. Get the proper thickness marine aluminum from a place like online metals, and just size it over between 1/2 and 1 inch on all sides. You can use gasket material, or a diesel proof form a gasket, and space bolts every couple inches around the perimeter. I tapped mine into the tank, so the heads are in the tank and the threads sticking up so all you have to do is put a nut on the bolt and tighten it down.

I had to do this as part of a full on tank clean out on Aeolus. Here are photos of my tank process and the access hatches I used. It has worked great, with no problems after encountering some seriously rough 50 knot wind seas here in the Salish Sea. Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse: Fuel tank repaired in epic fashion
bwindrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 22:22   #3

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Diesel Fuel Tank Inspection Port

Seabuilt - Access Plate Systems These guys make aluminum inspection port kits, but not cheap. Much cheaper to make your own or maybe a local metal/welding shop.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel tank, inspection