Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2012, 13:25   #46

Re: Diesel Fuel Tank " Sludge "

Not intended as a permanent solution to your contamination problem but you might consider installing a large depth filter (Gulf Coast F1) between your tanks and the Racors. The Racors are not very good at handling heavy loads (as you have found). They are good at "final" filtration before anything hits the injectors. I installed an F1 with a heavy duty recirculation pump to polish fuel but I also use the F1 as a straight pass through filter before the Racors, bypassing the pump. Before you start tearing up flooring or cutting holes in tanks, it might be worth a look, especially because you probably want to install the F1 anyway sometime after you clean the tanks.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 13:48   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Our marina's founder is 80+ and still works on Diesels. His opinion is that algae only grows in water. It lives in the interface between the water and fuel. Water gets in two ways. Condensation from your vents. Leaking O-ring at your filler port. Their policy is to inspect and replace the cracked & dry O-ring (no charge) on any boat they fuel. His opinion is that the algicides are BS - get rid of the water.

If you have algae, you have water. You need to enter the inspection ports, add ports if necessary, remove all old fuel. I gave mine away to the mechanic with a diesel pick-up. 250 gallons. The main tank had a layer of what looked like rotting garden slugs about 4 inches deep. I cleaned the tanks with rags and then sprayed them down with FAST ORANGE without pumice. I let this stew fro a few days and then used a power washer to clean. I added a 90 degree ELL to the jet so I could blast over the baffels. I let the water drain into the bilge and pumped it out. (on the hard). There are very special nozzles available for cleaning inside of tanks such as this Tankjet | Complete Line of Tank Cleaning Equipment for All Operations If you can find a service that uses one you can avoid cutting new inspection ports.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 06:05   #48

The testing of this product on removal of the sludge from the fuel system appears to be very extensive. I really appreciate seeing the results for other product comparisons. What I would like to see is more testing results on engine performance with extended use. Is there any effect on gaskets and seals over time? You could even put various gasket materials directly into solution to show that there is no effect. Also engine mfg could perform testing and have a statement that use of this additive will not invalidate any warrenty. Just a suggestion.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 07:27   #49

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Hi

Any distributers / stockists in Europe for fuel right?

Charlie.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 07:33   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one word---BIO-BOR......works perfect for prevention of sludge and bs in your diesel tank and isnt expensive.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 07:42   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

some testing done on biobor and others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h_Biobor.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	75.1 KB