Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 06:10   #16

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: Diesel fuel transfer pump?

The "Magic Syphon," is a clear hose with formed copper part pressed into one end. The copper part has a marble in it, which slows the back flow into the full fuel can. Clean, well that depends on your' urgency to transfer fuel. You do need to push the copper end to the bottom of the full fuel can and move it up and down fast enough to fill the clear hose. No electrical connections to fail or mechanicals to break. Again, it's urgency that will cause a mess. Make the plan and work the plan. Cat litter boxes aren't just for cats.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 06:47   #17

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I have used this simple bulb type syphon hose many times to transfer from jerry cans.
but, you need to have conditions that wouldnt have waves sloshing into your deck fill.

Siphon Pump - Save on this Fluid Siphon Pump

Paul
pesarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 06:52   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we got 2 pieces of fuel hose and a bulb pump - like the one for a dingy tank - it takes a bit of pumping but what else you going to do while sitting there - it does not take us long to do the transfer and is generally drip free -

we have been using it for 3-4 years - in all kinds of sea and not an issue - cheap and effective
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 07:21   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

As for syphons, personally I use the second tube approach , create a semi air tight seal with a cloth , blow in the tube to create a pressure in The jerry can , diesel comes out the syphon tube. No spills

Refilled in the Atlantic several times with this method.

For any volume I prefer the pump through. I can also put a water /coarse debris trap on it if needed ( of course I didn't have that in Casablanca when all the water got pumped into the tank !!!) you live and learn

Dave

Dave
Old 23-06-2014, 07:28   #20

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Scepter Marine - Flo n' go Fuel<br />Delivery Systems
Old 23-06-2014, 22:57   #21

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Plus hoses, plus drill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drill pump.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	83659  
Old 23-06-2014, 23:32   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

For transferring from jerry cans that are already on deck the siphon hoses work well. But if the full and heavy jerry cans/jugs are in your dinghy then the electric pumps are the way to go.

The Walbro is the only UL approved after-market diesel electric fuel pump that I know of and expensive and is normally used where it is permanently mounted in the engine compartment. I use the Walbro as a back-up to the engine lift pump and also as a fuel polishing pump -with a series of valves - to suck fuel from the tanks through the filter and then back into the tanks.

However, the electric drill pumps and other 12vdc diesel rated pumps are available. They can be fitted with vinyl hoses so you can see the fuel being moved. A long two-conductor electrical cable with a cigarette lighter plug one end and the other end attached to the pumps gets power to the pump. I use wooden dowels of the size necessary to "plug" the ends of the hoses after transfer is finished. The whole rig goes into a vinyl bag we sewed up to help keep dirt away and smell contained.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 03:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Thanks but no thanks.

Google is evil.

Don't be evil.
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 03:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Trying to picture in my mind how that would work. Not coming up with anything.
The fuel hose going to our Diesel tank has an ID of about 1" and is about 4 feet long. After filling the tank with the shaker I could simply slide the shaker down into the fuel hose with a tiny chain about it's neck for later retrieval.
Old 24-06-2014, 03:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
I have used this simple bulb type syphon hose many times to transfer from jerry cans.
but, you need to have conditions that wouldnt have waves sloshing into your deck fill.

Siphon Pump - Save on this Fluid Siphon Pump

Paul
Paul,

Of course that's a good idea but I've seen too many of the siphon bulbs rot out. But at the price they are well worth considering.
Old 24-06-2014, 03:57   #26

Re: Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump?

If you don't like controversy don't read any further.

I don't want to spill any fuel.

Why?

Economics primarily.

There's a concern I have with the paranoia of and punishment that one will incur if you spill one drop of Diesel into the water and someone informs on you. On inland and coastal waters signs are everywhere commanding you to report all fuel spills.

Yes I know all of the environmental issues, blah, blah, blah. But you've got to be pretty skilful and agile to get all of the fuel from a Jerry can into the fuel tank. Some genius designed our boat with the fuel fill fitting on the Port side near the toe rail. I use the bilge oil absorbant sheets as a ring around the fuel filter's base to catch any mess.

I can see the day when I spill one table spoon of Diesel into the water and someone rats on me and the CG (or some similar tax-feeder) stops by to issue a fine and I'm the top story of the nightly news.
Old 24-06-2014, 04:47   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump?

One of whales fine diaphragm pumps can also handle diesel. You need to get the one with the nitril diaphragm, disturb tied sold by Northern Tools, for $200. Whale sells rebuild kits. I like that because I use the same pump for my shower sump, bilge, and fuel transfer. Commonality of parts and spares.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel