Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 11:20   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Diesel Leak at Fuel Gauge

While digging in the engine bay I found this. I appears to be leaking from bad gaskets. I've already emailed Moeller to ask about replacement gaskets.

I have a couple quick questions before I start pulling this apart.

1) do you believe those nuts go into a threading in the tank itself or do you think there are loose nuts underneath. (which would be unfortunate)

2)I'm wondering if a clogged breathing hose would be a contributing factor. Any way to check? A long snake?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	204233  
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29   #2

Re: Diesel Leak at Fuel Gauge

If Moeller is the mfg they would be able to tell if there is a metal flang/disk bonded inside ! From the pic it would seem that there must be something inside! The chance is those are self tapping screws ! You could try snugging them a little ! If they are self tappers, you can make a metal ring with same bolt/screw pattern, I would thread those holes for machine screw the same as for the original 5, then drill to small retaining screw holes, match those 2 holes, and cut it in 1 spot, so you can twist it inside, hold in place with retaining screws, then just put on gasket,and put sender back on ! All done! I did this to my fiberglass iank in our Gulfstar 37 because the inspection plate was seized in the mounting ring! Worked out well !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 13:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes a clogged vent could certainly do it. A way to check is to blow air from a Vacuum cleaner etc into the tank fill if it’s not clogged, mucho air will blow out of the vent, you can do the same with a dinghy pump too.
Don’t use a vacuum on a gas boat, that motor sparks a lot.

On my boat you check the vent when you fill it up. When it’s full a bit of fuel spits out of the vent. Of course that’s a no no, but most all boats do.

There is even a whistle you can put in a vent hose, when it stops whistling when your filling, stop, fuel just hit the whistle.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 13:50   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

On my moeller tank all bolts were into copper/bronze inserts.
I use Hylomar Bleu sealant for the diesel tank.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
On my moeller tank all bolts were into copper/bronze inserts.
I use Hylomar Bleu sealant for the diesel tank.
I was able to look at one of the photos. The tank is a Tempo tank. There is not much for it but to hope that the tank was tapped, had inserts or welded nuts inside.

I'm working with Moeller. They only have gaskets for between the flange and the tank, not between the sender and flange. I'll have to replace the whole thing. I'm now trying to figure out what the replacement part might be.
Old 03-12-2019, 13:07   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
I was able to look at one of the photos. The tank is a Tempo tank. There is not much for it but to hope that the tank was tapped, had inserts or welded nuts inside.

I'm working with Moeller. They only have gaskets for between the flange and the tank, not between the sender and flange. I'll have to replace the whole thing. I'm now trying to figure out what the replacement part might be.

Not sure why you would need to replace anything unless it not working. Maybe the vent was clogged, maybe you overfilled the tank. Would try the vent first and clean up the area to see if its still leaking.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 16:39   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It’s not hard at all to cut your own gaskets. I’d just go to a parts store and get me a small sheet of rubber gasket. Cork would work, but I prefer rubber for this.
I’m not one for sealant though, but if you feel you need to go that way, be sure it is fuel proof. For instance silicone is not.
Old 03-12-2019, 18:49   #8

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It’s not hard at all to cut your own gaskets. I’d just go to a parts store and get me a small sheet of rubber gasket. Cork would work, but I prefer rubber for this.
I’m not one for sealant though, but if you feel you need to go that way, be sure it is fuel proof. For instance silicone is not.
Good advice. Don't try and run the screws through the gasket without punching holes first -- a leather punch works well -- otherwise you will end up with a raised ring of gasket material around the screw, making it hard to get a good seal. Also use Buna-N closed cell nitrile rubber -- neoprene will deteriorate. McMaster-Carr #9023K22

I'd start by removing one screw to see if it's a machine thread or a sheet metal screw. If the former, it's likely there is extra metal thickness around the hole. In any case with a proper gasket you do not need to overtorque the screws and strip out the hole.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 21:27   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The tank is probably not tapped--the metal is too thin.

In my experience, there is a horseshoe shaped backing plate that is tapped for the five screws. One of the screws is longer than the others. You back out all but the long screw, and loosen it about 1/4 inch. Then the backing plate swivels and can be drawn out of the hole.

How do you figure out which is the long screw and how far you can safely back it out??

VERY CAREFULLY.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The tank is probably not tapped--the metal is too thin.

In my experience, there is a horseshoe shaped backing plate that is tapped for the five screws. One of the screws is longer than the others. You back out all but the long screw, and loosen it about 1/4 inch. Then the backing plate swivels and can be drawn out of the hole.

How do you figure out which is the long screw and how far you can safely back it out??

VERY CAREFULLY.
That is what I've been concerned about from the beginning. I have some hopes from an earlier poster's experience that there may be copper bronze inserts.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:24   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Some of those tank gauges have slightly offset screws and matching gaskets, so that the sender only goes in one way Took a while to work out why the screws didn't quite line up the first time I took one apart. Use a blob of paint to show how it lines up on the tank before taking it apart.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:52   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Some of those tank gauges have slightly offset screws and matching gaskets, so that the sender only goes in one way Took a while to work out why the screws didn't quite line up the first time I took one apart. Use a blob of paint to show how it lines up on the tank before taking it apart.

Pete

That is common and I’ve wondered why. I believe it’s to keep a well meaning person from accidentally installing it with the float against the tank wall or something.

I’ve never personally seen the long screw thing myself, but removing and installing a couple at a time should easily identify the long one.
I’ve never seen a ring on the inside that could fall either, but if that’s possible then threaded rod should make it so you can hold the ring in place, just two pieces of long threaded rod and of course vise grip the rod when the sender is above it.

I can’t imagine how it could be done with individual nuts from underneath, that would require it to be installed before the tank was welded up?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:37   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Its not that bad unless you are in the bush. Just take one screw out at a time until you find the long one. You can always buy a new backing plate if you drop it.
Attached Images

donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:24   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

From just looking at the photo, I was thinking the black piece for the sensor looks moist. If your finger comes up dieselly when you touch it, maybe it is just the sensor mounting that is loose, not the whole lot. If so, just tighten the loose part, and if it needs sealant, go for it.

Once had to fix a leaky fuel gauge under way, used marine tex around the edge, and it worked fine, was still working 15 years later, when we sold the boat.

Ann
Old 04-12-2019, 13:00   #15

If you can replace that rubber gasket with rubber impregnated cork. Far better. The rubber gets slippery with diesel and the more you tighten the more it extrudes out.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, grass