Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 17:12   #1

Diesel Leak Tangential Damage?

I'm strongly considering purchasing an early 80's S/V (S2 9.2C) that visually looks in great shape. I know that a few years ago, an improper winterization "overlooked" the fuel filter somehow and that the result was a fuel leak onto the sole of the cabin near the engine compartment. The boat has been on the hard since, though well protected and cared for.

I'm not a surveyor (and will be hiring one) but I'm wondering what OTHER kind of damage other than cosmetic might have been caused by leaking diesel either into the engine compartment floor, or the deep bilge right below it. The sole just outside the engine box was ruined and is removed, and the FG exposed looks ok.

Just trying to figure out what I should be checking to see what other issues might be hiding...

Thx!
DamoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 17:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Diesel Leak Tangential Damage?

i'm not a surveyor so keep that in mind but I can tell you that virtually every fuel line joint was leaking in our all GRP boat when we purchased it & it appears to have done nothing to the hull AFAIK. I'm certain it had been leaking for years.
Was very glad to stop it leaking finally.
Hope that helps.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 17:27   #3

I’ve been around some fiberglass boats that had fuel, oil, sewage, and whatever else imaginable swirling around in the bilge for many years, with no ill effects.
FRP is a plastic, and there’s a reason that so many nasty products come in plastic containers!
Not to say that it’s ok to have a dirty bilge.
My boats bilge takes on a bit of water from rain and spray, and always has some water sloshing about, so I regularly throw in a bit of dishwashing soap, and it’s always pleasantly clean and odor free when I have work to do down there.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 17:39   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It degrades the engine mounts if they came in contact.

Some things don’t like diesel, such a Rescue Tape, which is silicone. And many rubbery bits, unless nitrel.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 18:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
It degrades the engine mounts if they came in contact.

Some things don’t like diesel, such a Rescue Tape, which is silicone. And many rubbery bits, unless nitrel.
This makes sense. Two of the mounts look fine and two are ready to go, IMO.
Thx for the insight!
DamoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:20   #6

Boat: Amel 50

We also bought a boat that had prior diesel leaks. There was no apparent sustainable damage and she served us well for 15 years. However, the smell never went away, no matter how much cleaning we tried. There was enough residual odor that even clothes hanging in the closets would absorb the smell.

So if the survey gives it a clean bill of health and you decide to go forward, just make sure odor is not going to be a problem for you. We all have different sensitivities, so it's a personal choice.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:49   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Pay attention to the fresh water system and the engine cooling system. If those were not properly winterized a lot more significant damage will have occurred.

PS. The fuel system does not need to be winterized - It is just a leak.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel