Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2024, 07:19   #1

Dinghy Floorboard Paine

The floorboards of my Mercury Dinghy are ready to be repainted. From some research I’ve found a couple of options. There’s one that I’ve seen that I’m curious if anyone has tried - using bilge paint. I love the idea of this because I also would like to give some parts of my bilge a new paint job so buying the paint and using it all in one season would be ideal.

I’ve read that it’s good because it’d be resistant to fuel (in case of a leak) and it’s “hard as nails”. My worry is that there wouldn’t be any grip?

Would love to hear thoughts or be directed to threads discussing this!

Thanks
Obrien1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 18:36   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Dinghy Floorboard Paine

No reason you can't add nonskid granules (plastic) or sand to make the painted sufrace less slippery. Don't use beach sand if you go that way - the salt may mess up the paint. Use fine sandbox sand or, for more grip, the sand they sell in bags at Home Depot or Lowes to mix in cement. Techniques vary. Some people paint, then sprinkle the sand over the wet surface, and follow with a second coat of paint so that the nonskid doesn't remove skin when you brush against it. Others mix it in with the paint, which can be tricky because the heavier bits sink to the bottom of the paint can. This is why people use the plastic granules, which float more evenly throughout the liquid in the can.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 18:40   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Dinghy Floorboard Paine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrien1234 View Post
The floorboards of my Mercury Dinghy are ready to be repainted. From some research I’ve found a couple of options. There’s one that I’ve seen that I’m curious if anyone has tried - using bilge paint. I love the idea of this because I also would like to give some parts of my bilge a new paint job so buying the paint and using it all in one season would be ideal.

I’ve read that it’s good because it’d be resistant to fuel (in case of a leak) and it’s “hard as nails”. My worry is that there wouldn’t be any grip?

Would love to hear thoughts or be directed to threads discussing this!

Thanks
No, I don’t recommend it at all because I find it rather soft. I think the best product, also for the bilge, is actually an epoxy barriercoat like TotalProtect.

It’s supposed to be a primer and for the dinghy floorboards I wouldn’t dare vouch for UV resistance but for the bilges it is great and for the floorboards you can always overcoat it when it fails.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy