Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 21:01   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Dinghy Lift Point Failure

When we were almost halfway through our circumnavigation, in 2014, we spent a year in Thailand. While there, we ordered a new dinghy made by a company in Phuket. One of the big advantages to us was being able to specify where we wanted the davit lifting points placed. It's been a great dinghy and has many hard miles on it. its hull is fiberglass, has 19" hypalon tubes and we power it with a Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke.

Last week, while sailing around Catalina Island, one of the davit lifting points pulled up through the deck. It was the first time I understood how the lifting points were installed and they were not installed the way I would have done it myself.

So, now I have to figure out how to repair it but the only realistic idea I have is to through-bolt from outside of the hull, which is less than ideal. The other question I'm struggling with is do I also replace the other side, which still appears to be okay. On the other hand, the dinghy is 10 years old and has seen some pretty rough use - maybe I should just shoot it and put it out of its misery . . .

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5131.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	293798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5132.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	293799  

Name:	IMG_5133.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	293800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5135[1].jpg
Views:	7
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	293801  

Name:	IMG_5003.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	293802  
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:47   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Dinghy Lift Point Failure

Two large eye bolts through the transom, that is where all the weight is. Use a dyneema strop, does not need to be a vertical lift. When sailing an any sort of rough conditions we would put webbing straps under the dinghy. . Alternatively just grind out the broken fiberglass and re-build in a a plate wth a pad eye with biaxial glass and epoxy resin, it will be stronger than the the original polyester - may not look pretty. If the tubes are on their way out - get a new dinghy.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, lift