Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 08:16   #1

Boat: Custom 55
DIY Awlgrip nonskid?

Hello forum,

Our non-skid is due for a refresh. The paint's still in good shape, but the grip isn't what it used to be.

I'd like to throw a coat on top with some more grit, but am not really that keen to go through all the expense of having a yard spray it.

So, my question to the painting pros out there- Can I just roll on a coat of Awlgrip over the old Awlgrip with some grit in it and not have it look like crap? I'd be keeping the same color. I figure I can do it in this manner myself for a few hundred bucks, where a yard would surely get me for thousands.

But, I also want a professional looking job-we just painted the topides, and want the deck to remain looking as good as the rest.

Thanks for the tips, amigos.

TJ
Old 01-03-2017, 08:28   #2

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull
Re: DIY Awlgrip nonskid?

following

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-03-2017, 17:07   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 47

We were told that the ratio of texture stuff to paint is fairly critical to get traction but not make the deck hard to clean.
I did this to our old boat with Brightside and will attest it took a bunch of test panels to get it right. Once done though it was fairly consistent. I can't say what Awlgrip would be like since we had our new boat done at the yard but thought I would make that point.
It is really hard to clean if there is too much texture.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 13:27   #4

Just a bump here-I think the thread sort of got buried way down the list before anybody really saw it.
TJ
Old 03-03-2017, 13:43   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

I would remove as much of the old paint and texture as possible. Then you put down a coat of paint. While it is still wet you sprinkle something like griptex over it, covering it entirely. Let paint dry, vacuum off the remaining loose particles, and then a second coat of paint. Yes you can roll awlgrip for this application.

I advise doing a test on a piece of scrap plywood. Griptex comes in different grades and you can mix them to get the degree of texture you want.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:49   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hello forum,

Our non-skid is due for a refresh. The paint's still in good shape, but the grip isn't what it used to be.

I'd like to throw a coat on top with some more grit, but am not really that keen to go through all the expense of having a yard spray it.

So, my question to the painting pros out there- Can I just roll on a coat of Awlgrip over the old Awlgrip with some grit in it and not have it look like crap? I'd be keeping the same color. I figure I can do it in this manner myself for a few hundred bucks, where a yard would surely get me for thousands.

But, I also want a professional looking job-we just painted the topides, and want the deck to remain looking as good as the rest.

Thanks for the tips, amigos.

TJ

For a restoration coat, roll on a coat of Awlgrip with Griptex mixed in it. Coarse is most likely to match the current finish. Practice first to get consistency right. The sprinkle on method is for new decks, ie applying to a smooth surface, and doesn't work out the same for a re application (plus it wastes a ton of Griptex). Use either a candy striper cover, a super doo-z, or (best of all) a large very stiff bristle brush to apply this first coat with Griptex in it, depending on what matches best in your trials. Which roller cover (or brush) you use dramatically effects the finish. Be sure to use Pro-Cure X-98 or X-108 in your deck finish, it provides a harder longer lasting finish.

After rolling on the first coat with Griptex, allow to tack off thoroughly and within the bond window apply a second coat. This coat should be mixed full flat with flattening agent for most jobs, some like 80% flat. A little gloss makes it easier to clean but sun glare off your deck is bad. I prefer full flat. Be sure to substantially reduce this final coat so it doesn't go on too heavy.

Pull tape first thing the next morning after coating. Be sure to tape a hair back onto the smooth for a clean tape line.

Here's a few before, during, and after pics of a Spindrift 43 I'm doing now. About 15k in labor to build a full winter tent and paint everything above the rail (ie all decks and smooth). All roll and tip. We're bringing back the old school! Almost done, took two months of brutal winter weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0610.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	142546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	142547  

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	142548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0647.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	142549  

Name:	IMG_1092.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	142550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1098.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	142551  

Name:	IMG_1102.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	142552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1103.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	142553  

Name:	IMG_1104.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	142554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1106.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	142555  

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	142556  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:56   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

P.S. Remember both Griptex and flattening agent will separate out on you if left in the pot or tray unagitated. Stir, stir, stir! Throughout the process. Otherwise you will have blotchy flatness and griptex chunks. JMHO.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:08   #8

Hey Minaret, thanks a lot for that info. I think I'll have a crack at it, a small section to start with, of course.

Thanks for the reminder on the flattening agent. I didn't specify it when I had a previous boat repainted in Trinidad, and it was brutal. Our non-skid is 'sand' colored, so it's less bad, but still, a good tip.

TJ
Old 06-03-2017, 07:25   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

That looks great Minaret! How much Griptex did you mix into the paint for that?

I had forgotten to order the flattening agent last year so skipped the job but I have it now and will be brightening up the decks after first doing all the spot repairs where old gear was removed etc.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:57   #10

Jedi, we were docked a couple of slips down from you at Shelter Bay a couple winters ago. Hello to you two, hope all's well.

TJ
Old 06-03-2017, 08:09   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That looks great Minaret! How much Griptex did you mix into the paint for that?

I had forgotten to order the flattening agent last year so skipped the job but I have it now and will be brightening up the decks after first doing all the spot repairs where old gear was removed etc.

A scoche, plus or minus a pinch.

You get a feel for whats right and keep track of the "recipe" for small batches of paint. Hard to translate that to a formula though, and even then it may not apply in any situation but that one. Just remember, when mixing Griptex in to your paint, it takes WAY less than the sprinkle on method. Not done with fore deck yet, but it looks like I'll get this whole Spindrift 43 with a single quart of Griptex coarse.

For the record I think it was about 20 "scoops" with a standard stir stick for a 16 oz or so batch of paint, maybe a little more or less.

We ground out and glassed a bunch of hardware holes in the decks first, as you can see in the before pics. This leaves flat spots in the finish. If you have this, it adds a step to the process. That is to take a stiff brush and coat the bare/no Griptex spots first with Awlgrip with Griptex. So three coats total on those areas. Guaranteed coverage and even pattern. These decks were done with a big stiff brush on all Griptex coats and a 3/8" super doo-z on the final flat coat. A 1/4" striper on the final flat coat makes a more aggressive/sharp skid pattern, but does not hide the woes as well, and there was much to hide. Smooth is brushed Perfection in these pics, over sprayed 545 finished 400.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:00   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

So for the spot repairs... do you dab with the stiff brush? I was planning to sprinkle those spots...
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:28   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So for the spot repairs... do you dab with the stiff brush? I was planning to sprinkle those spots...
That's how I did this one, because it's what matched. May or may not work for your deck depending on how it was originally applied.