Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 13:27   #31

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: DIY polishing new chainplates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Nice ethics.
I tend to not follow that rule often. Theres very few times that I do it, but like i said, my drill is still under warranty, so I'll more than likely just use mine.

The only reason I would do the buy/return process would be if I burnt out my own and needed something a bit more powerful.

On a side note, for sanding down SS, would aluminum oxide paper be best to use? I've seen aluminum oxide papers and then also silicone based papers.

Just trying to get the parts all pre-ordered prior to actually getting the plates back so i can start on it the day i get them.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:01   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: DIY polishing new chainplates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of getting new chainplates made for my boat. The fabricator who's making them can't polish the plates and has given me a few companies that could.

The price of polishing the plates is pretty much the same as what i have spent in making them.

Has anyone gone the route of polishing their plates themselves? If so, do you have any documentation on how you did it?

I'm looking at harbor freight online and see a 6" bench buffer for $40 and a few different polishing sticks. I was thinking of getting the brown stick and green stick and potentially blue for the final polish?

All in all, getting 3 polishing sticks, some sanding pads and the buffer, i'm looking at spending around $60-$80.

The biggest concern i have with the polishing is the sanding process. I've never polished stainless steel so this is the one part i'm concerned about.

Thanks!
I polished our new Titanium plates this way & would do it for SS too.

Use a belt sander to remove the worst of the raw edges. Use a 220 or finer belt. I had access to a bench grinder with Scotch Bright wheels. This will put a shine on anything. Otherwise, you can use a D-A Orbital sander with 220 followed by finer grits. I never took the finish to mirror bright.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote