Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 12:36   #1

Do-It-Yourself Yard in SF Bay Area

I have a bristol 29 that needs quite a bit of work. Does anyone know of a yard in the san Francisco bay area that will let me keep it on the hard for an extended period, like 12 months, while I refit?
fullkeel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 13:54   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Port Sonoma

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 21:25   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullkeel2 View Post
I have a bristol 29 that needs quite a bit of work. Does anyone know of a yard in the san Francisco bay area that will let me keep it on the hard for an extended period, like 12 months, while I refit?
I can't think of any Bay Area yard that wouldn't be happy to charge you for 365 lay days while you refit.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 22:22   #4

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
They may want you to pay in advance or a hefty deposit to avoid an abandoned project. Perhaps they will work a discounted deal with you.
Check around.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 09:00   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Port Sonoma Marina supposed to be inexpensive

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 09:14   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Port Sonoma
I was aware that Port Sonoma had berths for in-water boats and a parking/storage lot for trailered boats, but not that it had a crane and boat-working area.

It's pretty isolated. One will probably need a car to reach their residence and a grocery store.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 12:50   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I have had a pleasant experience at Berkeley Marine Center. I have hauled ther numerous times in the past......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 13:38   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
Also, try Svendsen's in Alameda, approximately $35-per day, which they might negotiate for long term. I am not recommending them, just pointing out that they are there. Caveats: they have a nasty habit of charging for things you may not have asked for or for not being accurate with their billing. Also, just as another heads-up, when you purchase items from their chandlery to be placed upon your yard bill the chandlery "bill" does not show prices for what you bought! It's only when you go to pay your bill to be relaunched that you see where the vast amounts of money went. Very weird and not a little suspect.
Old 24-09-2010, 21:02   #9

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Svendsen's has a good reputation. They may overcharge but they never failed me. They produced good end results. I also like Bay Marine in Richmond. Welcome to Bay Marine Boatworks I always paid what they quoted and the job was done right.
However if I look for the do-it-yourself project I would call or visit slower boatyards and negotiate the fees. Svendsen's, KKMI or Anderson's are fairly busy and may not be the best choice. But some slower yards who also do dry storage may be the way to go. There is a boatyard in Pittsburg (Vee Jay Marine Services) who also do dry storage. I'd call them and see what they say...
Here is the list of some boatyards in Bay Area:
Boat Yards San Francisco Bay
Good luck!

Old 24-09-2010, 22:54   #10

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I like Nelson's Marine in Alameda. Not too expensive and a nice group of people.
You can't do your own bottom paint but you can do everything else yourself.
I was annoyed by that at first, but if I owned a boatyard in California I wouldn't want to be liable for DIY'ers poor handling of poisonous stuff either.
I can almost picture black helicopters with black suited rapelling commandos raiding a boatyard after 1 drop of bottom paint hit the concrete.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 23:12   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
You can't do your own bottom paint but you can do everything else yourself.
I was annoyed by that at first, but if I owned a boatyard in California I wouldn't want to be liable for DIY'ers poor handling of poisonous stuff either.
I can almost picture black helicopters with black suited rapelling commandos raiding a boatyard after 1 drop of bottom paint hit the concrete.
Yeah, that's it. They're scared of a lawsuit.

So why is it that virtually every other yard in the Bay Area allows DIYers? Could it be that the real reason Nelson's adheres to a policy that no one feels compelled to is greed? Hmmm?
Old 25-09-2010, 08:15   #12

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Yeah, that's it. They're scared of a lawsuit.

So why is it that virtually every other yard in the Bay Area allows DIYers? Could it be that the real reason Nelson's adheres to a policy that no one feels compelled to is greed? Hmmm?
Sorry to take your oppertunity to rant away from you. But when Nelson's moved their yard to their present location, in the '90's, that was a condition of their license to operate.
The Greenies are trying to regulate every boatyard in the SF Bay. Some wierd notion about toxic runoff into the Bay. Go figure.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 08:48   #13

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I know less about boatyards in the bay area than fastbottoms, I think.
I was just trying to be helpful.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 18:51   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Sorry to take your oppertunity to rant away from you. But when Nelson's moved their yard to their present location, in the '90's, that was a condition of their license to operate.
The Greenies are trying to regulate every boatyard in the SF Bay. Some wierd notion about toxic runoff into the Bay. Go figure.
OK, fair enough. If your statement about the terms of Nelson's lease is true, then I miscategorized their motive for not allowing DIY bottom painting.

However, if you actually think that "Greenies are trying to regulate every boatyard in the Bay", you are sadly behind the times. It has been the law of the land for some time (in this state, anyway) that every boatyard must operate under the Non Point Source Elimination Discharge permit program, as mandated by the federal Clean Water Act of 1972. What this means that every boatyard in the state must capture, and filter, a certain percentage of its wastewater and not allow it to enter the waterway untreated. I'm sorry if you think a bunch of radical treehuggers are somehow trying to take away your fun, but boatyards are a major source of water pollution and forcing them to clean up is a good thing. And the really good ones (KKMI, for instance) go well above and beyond what is required by law because they know it is the right thing to do.
Old 26-09-2010, 16:23   #15

thank you all for the info. I will check out nelson's and Berkley Marine Center. Port sonoma does not offer haul out and they have a strict not boat work rule for there dry strorage.
fullkeel2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sf bay