Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2015, 05:58   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Do you see a problem here?

The first thing I immediately noticed was the rudder/prop design which is so absurdly wrong that it is amazing this boat was even built. If I am following this thread correctly, the OP has already bought this boat and painted it and did not even see the rudder/prop issue as being a concern? His concern has something to do with the paint job--his paint job? Is this what is going on here? Furthermore, it appears to be a tiny two blade foldable or feathering prop that looks as if it could hardly push that size boat--and it appears to draw at least five feet-maybe more. Are there any anodes?? if so where? Is that a steel nut against a bronze housing? Is it sufficient and should it have a cotter or a second nut? I do not know but....I would be less concerned about the paint job and more concerend as to whether this boat can maneuver or power properly but that seems to have not concerned the OP. Any other ideas?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 06:19   #17

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
The first thing I immediately noticed was the rudder/prop design which is so absurdly wrong that it is amazing this boat was even built. If I am following this thread correctly, the OP has already bought this boat and painted it and did not even see the rudder/prop issue as being a concern? His concern has something to do with the paint job--his paint job? Is this what is going on here? Furthermore, it appears to be a tiny two blade foldable or feathering prop that looks as if it could hardly push that size boat--and it appears to draw at least five feet-maybe more. Are there any anodes?? if so where? Is that a steel nut against a bronze housing? Is it sufficient and should it have a cotter or a second nut? I do not know but....I would be less concerned about the paint job and more concerend as to whether this boat can maneuver or power properly but that seems to have not concerned the OP. Any other ideas?
It's an Albin Vega, an almost iconic vessel. That prop is the original variable pitch prop fitted to the boat. It allowed the boat to reverse, or at least attempt to reverse, without any gearbox fitted.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 06:28   #18
Marine Service Provider

Wow--there is a good deal online about the Albin Vega which you call iconic and others called a cult boat. I had only heard of them and was not familiar with these interesting issues and designs but thousands of these were built and were sailed in many, many places including apparently Matt Rutherford's awesome solo voyage.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 06:40   #19

Boat: csy 37

I owned one for five years. Wonderful little boat. Easy to sail and work on. They built thousands of them. Some have done some pretty long offshore passages. Every design has some flaw. This one has very few.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 06:54   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I owned one for five years. Wonderful little boat. Easy to sail and work on. They built thousands of them. Some have done some pretty long offshore passages. Every design has some flaw. This one has very few.
Wet foredeck is another. Aside from that the damned things are as tough as old boots that sail very well although they are very unassuming to look at.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:10   #21

Boat: looking for next boat

Nope, that's got to be the cleanest boat yard I have ever seen or is it a display yard or boat museum ?
Garethk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:12   #22

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethk View Post
Nope, that's got to be the cleanest boat yard I have ever seen or is it a display yard or boat museum ?
Nope, just standing in current owners yard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0054.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	100359  
Nicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 22:30   #23

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

I did notice that the leading edges of the prop blades have nicks and even a small piece missing.
I believe this is due to cavitation or even some stray current issues.
Zincs look healthy enough, probably some cavitation.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote